Status of Everything Attachments

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,121  
If end users REALLY knew what the markup was on retail goods sold to the general public, I'm sure they would all be amazed and PO'd at the same time.

For example, back when I delivered steel for the outfit I retired from, one of my regular deliveries of slit coils of hot rolled was TRW steering division near Grand Rapids and I got to know the employees as well as the plant management pretty well and one day I spied a full wire basket of finished tie rod ends waiting to be shipped out and I asked the assistant plant manager what the cost to produce them was and he told me about 50 cents per unit. I didn't say anything but thought to myself, those tie rod ends look just like the ones on my Ford F350 diesel pickup truck and I had just replaced the no grease ones with a set that had grease fittings and I paid at the local discount auto parts store (Autozone), 130 bucks for a set of 2 and I'm sure at a dealer they would have been even more.

When you take the 50 cent per part build cost and look at the Autozone 'discount' price and compare, that to me is one huge markup from the maker, in this case TRW to the retail price. Scary isn't it?
Everyone that touches that part needs a cut. The trucking company (ies), the wholesaler, the distributor(s), the parts store main location , the driver from main store to yours, the counter guy.
The markup is probably so high with lots of items, because people have been taught that they have to have it. Don’t get an old one and fix t up, just buy new. Don’t fix the one you have, just buy new. Can’t afford it, just use our credit card / payment plan.
‘What really irritates me is when stuff goes “on sale”. When you inflate the prices to increase your bottom line, putting it on sale is not an incentive for me to buy your stuff. I buy stuff that I need and when I need it, if I ask for a better price and am told no, putting it on sale later won’t bring me back in your door.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,122  
The owner of the first construction company I worked for had a brother with a position at Sears. He said that regardless of what any prices were marked down to for big sales or discontinued stuff, they were twice what Sears paid for the item.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Status of Everything Attachments #1,123  
The owner of the first construction company I worked for had a brother with a position at Sears. He said that regardless of what any prices were marked down to for big sales or discontinued stuff, they were twice what Sears paid for the item.
Years ago I knew a guy who worked in a higher end department store men's department.
He was taking dress shirts out of their packaging and putting them onto the clothes hangers on the wracks.
Box of 24 shirts was invoiced at $30. Shirt on the wrack price was $40 on sale/shirt. So, $960 retail for the box and they went broke.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,124  
Years ago I knew a guy who worked in a higher end department store men's department.
He was taking dress shirts out of their packaging and putting them onto the clothes hangers on the wracks.
Box of 24 shirts was invoiced at $30. Shirt on the wrack price was $40 on sale/shirt. So, $960 retail for the box and they went broke.
They lost their shirt.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,125  

They went broke because their built in overheads like employee pay and benefits cost as well as rent and other overheads, exceeded the amount they were marking their stuff up at.

Myself, I'm very careful about how I price both my products as well as my shop services because anyone in business has those built in overheads. Consequently, if a customer (especially when it comes to shop work) wants to lo-ball me, I just tell them not interested, have a nice day but under my breath I'm thinking something else.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,126  
If you think its bad with US made products, think about the pennies they pay for chinese junk and then they hock it over here at an 800 % price hike

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,127  

They went broke because their built in overheads like employee pay and benefits cost as well as rent and other overheads, exceeded the amount they were marking their stuff up at.

Myself, I'm very careful about how I price both my products as well as my shop services because anyone in business has those built in overheads. Consequently, if a customer (especially when it comes to shop work) wants to lo-ball me, I just tell them not interested, have a nice day but under my breath I'm thinking something else.
Back when I was selling small square bales of horse hay, I put up a beautiful product that was fertilized, correctly dried, and sold on the lower side of average.

One guy that bought 3 bales in winter tried to haggle on my already cheap price. He was upset and said "how much can it cost to put up a bale of hay"? I told him that for the first bale it was about $125,000, plus the land. Price for the second one was $62,500.

Last edited:
   / Status of Everything Attachments #1,128  
I’ve heard that and wonder how the store that invented home shopping was not able to complete.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,129  
Back when I was selling small square bales of horse hay, I put up a beautiful product that was fertilized, correctly dried, and sold on the lower side of average.

One guy that bought 3 bales in winter tried to haggle on my already cheap price. He was upset and said "how much can it cost to put up a bale of hay"? I told him that for the first bales it was about $125,000, plus the land. Price for the second one was $62,500.
I got out of the small square business years ago and sold my NH 575 High Capacity square bailer at a nice profit on Tractor House btw. I don't like dealing with people who buy small square bales anyway. None of them know the difference between horse poop and apple butter far as I'm concerned. I have a nice very turn key relationship with the rancher that buys all my round bales every year now and has been buying them for the last 5 years. Brings his semi trailers to the hayfields and I load them and he secures them and off they go. No muss, no fuss and he never quibbles about cost either. In fact, we buy all our beef from him as well.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,130  
Yesterday I was using my EA rear blade thinking what a shame. I first bought a tractor supply blade that bent within a few minutes use, then got this EA one that's been fantastic, adjustable in every direction and 600+ pounds.
Why would they even need a 100K+ sq.ft. building when all they needed would be a large storage shed for product?
Such a shame. It looks like 1 Timothy 6:10
has been correct all along...
20240225_125320.jpg
2024_02_25_13.21.38.jpg