Starting question

/ Starting question #11  
Aric, fuel shut-off? 'nuff said. Using ether on engines with precombustion chambers is a bad thing due to combustion beginning in such a small chamber. Could crack the cylinder head or damage the chamber "cap" among other things. On the fuel filter shut-off, if you look just to the right of the lever you should see a small phillips head screw. Remove that and the lever should come straight out with a small spring attached. Look in the hole and you will see a piece of white plastic with a slot for a screw driver. You should be able to break it loose with a screwdriver. No need to remove it, it's just a little stuck from not being turned in a while. Re-install the lever paying attention to the slot that the small screw that you removed sets in and gently re-install the screw. It should screw back in pretty easy. If not the notch in the lever is not lined up.

/ Starting question #12  
I don't mean to nasty when I say this. But a dealer that does not know how to shut down an engine should not be selling tractors. They should at least take the time to get to know the product they are selling. I can imagine that he is going be a lot of help after the sale.

/ Starting question #13  
No kidding! They do shut off on their own but it takes about two days/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Starting question #14  
Attached is a picture of the detent on the 1401d.

According to the Yanmar manual to stop the engine, you "Pull (PUSH??) the throttle lever back to slow idle position. Allow the engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Pull (PUSH??) throttle lever fully rearward to stop engine".

It says in bold lettering "DO NOT USE DECOMPRESSION LEVER TO STOP ENGINE". According to the manuals, the only time you use the decompression lever is to start the engine.

As far as using starting fluid, as with any engine, starting fluid is used for basically a sick engine. Its a last ditch effort if you are in a bind. If your diesel is mechanically sound, you should never need it. I start these Yanmars regularly in 15-20 degree weather using only the thermostart and the decompression lever. Don't take the chance of ruining your engine by "wingin it"

/ Starting question
Thank you very much for you help. The dealer that I bought it from thought that a half a container was a good investment. He bought it from the investment stand point. I understand what EFC and Pepper had to say. But, I was wanting a tractor and this one fell into my lap in the right price range and was in really good shape. Has only 154 hours on it. Could be 1154, but not sure, since has only 3 digits on the counter. It is extremely clean. The little paddy lady did a good job of keeping it clean.....hehehe

Aric

/ Starting question #16  
I've had two 1401Ds. One did not have the button, and to shut it off I had to pull the linkage to the injector pump back and it would shut off. I think it would have shut off with the thottle had it been adjusted correctly. My current 1401D has the shutoff button.

/ Starting question
Why have you had 2 1401's? I by the way, fixed all of the problems that I was having. Mine does not have the button BTW.

Aric /w3tcompact/icons/king.gif