Starting question

/ Starting question #1  

Ym1401King

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1401
I have a question. I was looking at the owners manual that was sent me for my 1401, and it was for the modelsYM169. In the manual it says to never use Ether to start the tractor, and then as far as stopping the motor, it says to never use the decompression to stop the motor. When I turn my key off, the thing would sit there and idle until it ran out of fuel. So, I have to do something. Is using that decompression thing the little lever sticking out of the front of the dash the right way? Just want my Yanny to last a while. Also, I tried to turn the fuel shut off handle, and it won't budge. Any suggestions?

Aric

/ Starting question #2  
You should not use the decompression lever to shut the tractor off and the key switch on your tractor will not shut the tractor off. The decompression lever is the one under the dash on the left hand side of the dash. You said the fuel shut off would not budge. I am assuming that you are referring to the fuel shut off on the the fuel filter assembly. You should use the hand throttle to shut the engine off. The hand throttle is the one that sticks up from the ride side on the dash.

/ Starting question #3  
Aric,
I'll assume that you are pushing the throttle lever all the way forward, and the engine is still idling. The problem is that the throttle linkage is either not ajusted properly, or sticking somewhere. You should be able to completely shut off the fuel and kill the engine with the throttle lever.

Try opening the hood while the engine is running, and pushing the lever on the injection pump all the way back. If that kills the engine, then you just need to shorten the linkage so that the throttle lever will pull this lever all the way back to kill the engine. The the throttle lever itself may not be moving all the way forward also - so check that out as well.

In the meantime, I would kill the engine by leaving the tractor in gear, hold the brakes on HARD, and release the clutch to stall the engine. This is what I did at first with my YM1301D when I couldn't get mine to shut down.

Greg

/ Starting question #4  
I couldn't say anything about shutdown better than Brent and Greg, so I won't even try.
But I have had to deal with several sticky fuel shut-off valves. I like to shut off my fuel after shutting off the engine - but if the injector pump is in good condition it really doesn't make the difference on a diesel that it does on a gasoline machine.
To fix a sticky valve, my recommendation is to take it off of the machine and then disassemble with care. It just needs cleaning, but will break if it is forced. You may need to bolt it to a plate mounted in a vise.

/ Starting question #5  
My 1401D has a detent button at the pivot point of the throttle lever. When the throttle is pushed all the way forward, then the tractor is at a very slow idle. At this point, you then push the detent button to stop the engine. I will post a picture later tonight if I can get home before dark to take a pic.
Jim

/ Starting question #6  
Speaking of that detent button..I too have a 1401d and I had no idea what that button was for!!/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Starting question
I will be glad to see where that button is, and what it s for. I went and looked and have no idea.

Roger : I need to shut off the fuel so that I can change the fuel filter. The dealer that I bought mine from bought his first container, this tractor and others, and has no clue what he got. He now buys from Handlers. Anyway, he didnt know how to shut off the motor either.

Thanks for the input of all. Will check the linkage and then will fool around with the fuel shut off. Look forward to seeing that picture of the detent button.

Thanks again.

YM1401King /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/king.gif

Aric

/ Starting question #8  
Very interesting... My YM1301D has no such button.

Greg

/ Starting question #9  
I have been told by several people that you should only use ether on a diesel if you want to remove the intake manifold and or cylinder head/pistons very quickly.

I've seen others use ether (White and Big JD's) but I don't think I'll take the chance.

Using WD40 in small quantities works (so I'm told) and does not have the explosive nature.

/ Starting question #10  
My YMG1800D has a fuel cutoff on the right side of the dash area, about knee hight. Pull it and the motor stops.
Frank