starting problems

/ starting problems #1  

lance

Tractor
Iseki 1610
I ran my Iseki 1610 out of gas today and now it will not start even though I placed fuel back in. Does anyone have any tips to get it started.

Thank you

/ starting problems #2  
I don't know much about Iseki tractors. but I am pretty sure its not gas, but a diesel engine. And you have to get all the air out of the system to start one of them. I have a yanmar, and on it you have to bleed it at the fuel filter, tank side first then pump side next. Then at the pump, you just open the bleeders till there is not air all diesel. Iseki may be different, but it would work the same. All air out or it will not start at all. On most diesels you don't have to bleed the injectors, but some will tell you that you have to. If you get all the air out from the tank to the pump, that is all you need to do.

/ starting problems #4  
Dick's advice works with Isekis too - start at the line from the tank to the fuel filter, to the pump, to the injectors, opening the fittings (one at a time) & getting fuel to flow until there is no air bubbles. A good charge on the battery is also needed, as 5030 mentioned, as you will use the starter a good bit. You'll also end up with a small mess with the diesel fuel that you bleed out. A small flexible cup helps.

Once you've let it run out of fuel once, you find that you fill the tank more often (but I wouldn't know anything about that) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ starting problems #5  
I would leave that can of ether, alone. These diesels have very high compression, and they can blow up, with ether. Might ruin the motor, it might even ruin you. Just get the air out of it and it will start and run fine. But ether, gas or any other suppose to be short cut, just wouldn't get it started, as long as it has air in the lines. Like the man said, now that you have let yourself run out of fuel once, you probably won't let it happen again, at least for a long time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ starting problems #6  
Lance, leave the ether alone it is a sure way to cause more problems and also can reduce the life expectancy of your engine. You have to bleed the air out of the system, your tractor should start. If you are not sure check with a local dealership and they may be able to show you what to look for on a tractor so you can bleed the air out. Not all tractors are the same as to how they bleed air out of the fuel system but the principle is the same. Good luck and this is a lesson that helps us to remember not to ever run out of fuel again... ya right.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ starting problems #7  
Jeff's TS2205 is almost identical to your tractor follow his advice. Only use ether in engines that are designed for its use. i had an employee spray ether in to the intake instead of using the ether attachment. Broke the rings in 2 cylinders.

/ starting problems #8  
Dick:

Maybe I should have clarified that a little more.....

Engines that have pre-heaters like glow bar plugs can't have either introduced into the intake air because they will self-destruct.

To use either on that type of engine, you'd have to dis-connect the glow plug feed.

Actually, a good either engine start aid will have an upper cylinder lubricant in it. You don't use much, just a little squirt.

Another really good way to start a diesel in cold weather is to take a shop towel, soak it in gasoline, wring it out and place it over the air intake. When you crank the engine, the intake air will pull a little gasoline vapor in and that will fire the engine too. You have to be careful that the rag doesn't get sucked into the intake though. Diesels ingest a lot of air, all the time.

I use to start my old 6.3 IH in my Ford that way, all the time. Either that method or the hair dryer method.

/ starting problems #9  
I know some engines tolerate and in fact are designed for ether as a starting aid, but Yanmars are not. I would never ever use ether to start a Yanmar.

I've replaced a couple of bent rods recently on a commercial mower with a Yanmar 4 cylinder in it. The guy ran it out of fuel, didn't know how to bleed it and repeatedly tried to start it with starting fluid. It bent two rods. $155 each for the rods, plus new rings and rod bearings of course, and a gasket set, plus labor. Figure that up, and resist the temptation.

On my Dad's International 674, it comes with a button to squirt some ether in for cold starting. Obviously it is fine to use ether on that rig.

/ starting problems #10  
For some reason or other, it seems to me that Yanmars are very rare in my part of the country; don't think I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 of them. And one of them, about a year ago, was at my Kubota dealer. It was a trade-in that they had for sale at the time. The salesman told me they took it in trade, but had to rebuild the engine because the owner had used ether to start it. I think he said they only had to replace one piston and rod, along with a few other parts. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif