Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #1  

coldinyellowstone

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1840M
Hey guys, looking to see if anyone has a similar tractor. I just traded in my 2018 cabbed 1025r for a 2022 cabbed 1840M. Its a very nice upgrade, however I feel it is a terrible starting machine. when turning key for first time, all of the indicator lights come on for a few seconds, then go off, and then glowplug indicator light comes back on for only a second, even when its pretty cold out. Then when trying to start, it just turns over for 5-10 seconds before firing. It doesnt spit or sputter at all while trying to start. I have called 2 different stealerships (not affiliated with each other), in diff states, and they both come back with about the same answer : its normal, engine is tight and still breaking in, its normal to cycle key 3-5 times. Plugging in the block heater doesnt do much, and cycling the key 3-5 times doesnt help either. I went out the other morning when it was cooler, about 2 degrees, and cycled key to see if glowplugs would stay on longer, they didnt. I feel this isnt right, regardless of what the service managers at 2 stealerships say. A brand new tractor should try to start a little easier than this and the glowplugs should be on for a minimum of 6-10 seconds. Now once machine has warmed up, it starts much easier. Is there anyone else that has a similar tractor that can help tell me if theirs does the same thing or not? Plus, I dont want to cycle the key 3-5 times, this is a brand new tractor, not a 20 year old 7.3 with 440,000 miles. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image000006(1).jpg
    image000006(1).jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 148
   / Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #2  
Diesel engines hate cold weather. (about 2 degrees) Will give any diesel engine a hard time starting. Glow plugs help. Block heaters left plugged in overnight help. Plugging a block heater in 10 minute before you are going to start the unit will not help that much.

Synthetic engine oil also helps with winter starts.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #3  
I have a Massey Ferguson 4707 cabbed tractor, so this might be apples to oranges. In warm weather, I wait for all the lights to turn off on the dash and it fires up almost instantly. In really cold weather, 10F, it was almost impossible to get it to start. It took forever for all the lights to turn off, then it would sort of start up, but not really. I did this so many times that I had to hook up my jumper cables to the battery to finally get it to start up. I needed to put a round bale out, so I wasn't going to give up. Once it started, it eventually warmed up and ran great.

My guess is that it's so cold where you live that it's struggling with the weather. Once it warms up there, it should fire up right away. If not, then I would be concerned. But I wouldn't do anything until it warms up there.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M
I appreciate you guys thoughts. Im well aware of plugging diesels in, and the cold weather affecting them. No other diesel i have owned, has ever been this hard to start. I dont think glowplug relay or timer is working correctly. And this being yellowstone, its winter 6-7 months of the year and negative temps are almost a daily occurrence. So getting this resolved is important.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #5  
^^^^
I know it’s a new machine but, how’s the battery? I’d check the date code on the battery just in case it was manufactured using ‘old’ stock and…I’d throw a charger on it just in case.

Mike

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #6  
I appreciate you guys thoughts. Im well aware of plugging diesels in, and the cold weather affecting them. No other diesel i have owned, has ever been this hard to start. I dont think glowplug relay or timer is working correctly. And this being yellowstone, its winter 6-7 months of the year and negative temps are almost a daily occurrence. So getting this resolved is important.
If a new unit I would be talking to the selling Dealer about warranty repairs. You may also visit dealers in your area on a cold morning and if they have a model like yours on the lot ask them to start it so you can listen and see if it has the same problem as yours.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #7  
The problem is, you went from a Yanmar engine (Easiest starting engine in cold I've ever seen) to the Iseki (hardest starting engine in the cold in my experience).

I think the dealers realize it is normal for the Iseki to take more cranking to start. I think the main thing is that it always started. I soon got used to it and you will also. Probably just the nature of the engine.

Any other Massey owners have that experience?

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #8  
The block heater could be the problem. If the temp sensor and the block heater are too close to each other, the sensor is reading too warm and doesn't keep the glow plugs on long enough.
Try starting it without the heater or not plugged in as long as usual.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #9  
I have zero knowledge of the Massey Fergusons but I was wondering if they give you the ability to manually control the glow plugs. All three of my Kubotas allow me to manually power the glow plugs. Even in single-digit temperatures, all I need is a count of 10 to the glow plugs and they start right up.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #10  
My Massey 1736 (maybe not similar to your 1840M) has never failed to start on the first 3-4 seconds of turning its key. However, at single digits or below zero I'll always plug in it's block heater for a min of 3-4 hours.

I have always wondered about my glow plugs as well as their indicator light has never stayed on for what I would guess to be more than 3-4 seconds.

My procedure for starting is I turn the key to the right without engaging the starter. The dash lights up, the tach needle does its full cycle reset, then the lights go out including the glow plug and next I engage the starter by turning the key further to the right. Within a few seconds she is running. This all takes like 3-4 seconds at most. I have even done this without using the block heater in temps near freezing with the same result, she starts but she is much happier with her block heater plugged in.