Started my tower stand today

/ Started my tower stand today
EddieWalker said:
When is deer season there? Are you seeing any good bucks? Keep us posted how your season goes!!!

Eddie

Gun season starts Saturday. There are a couple decent bucks around here but so far it has been very slow for archery season. Not too many being harvested.

/ Started my tower stand today #212  
Is it cold there? It's been warm here and the ground is covered in acorns, so nothing is moving around. There is still over a month left of rifle season, so anything is possible. Hope you get to see something exciting!!!!

Eddie

EddieWalker said:
Is it cold there? It's been warm here and the ground is covered in acorns, so nothing is moving around. There is still over a month left of rifle season, so anything is possible. Hope you get to see something exciting!!!!

Eddie

It is usually around 30 at night but warms up to mid 50's during the day. The tower is usually around 70 in the afternoon thanks to the sun so I only use the heater early in the morning.

I've been hunting with Ava and have had multiple bucks come by but I am trying to let her shoot and they have all been out of her range except one but it was too late as the sun had set and it wasn't legal shooting hours. If something huge walks by out of her range I will drop it but I'm hoping it is within her range. Our neighbors 16 year old son shot his first deer. 12 point that rough scored mid 150's.

They have benefited greatly from our management practices. Usually get a nice buck every year and thankfully they have adopted similar practices now. They use to shoot anything that moved but now are enjoying seeing and harvesting trophy deer.

This is the neighbors, shot around 500 yards behind my house.

ForumRunner_20121120_082508.png

Side view

ForumRunner_20121120_082642.png

/ Started my tower stand today #215  
Very impressive!!!! That's so cool that you're seeing such a great improvement in your trophy quality. Are you still raising them too?

Eddie

EddieWalker said:
Very impressive!!!! That's so cool that you're seeing such a great improvement in your trophy quality. Are you still raising them too?

Eddie

We still raise some for fun. Ava loves raising fawns every year.

/ Started my tower stand today #218  
This one was just shot next to one of our other farms, green scored 204 4/8

View attachment 289720

One heck of a deere/rack, no doubt quite a "monster" ! I'am guessing young lady in pic is your "hunting partner". Question is that bear in background "local" or from neighboring state ?
Thanks for posting updates !

Boone

bullbreaker said:
One heck of a deere/rack, no doubt quite a "monster" ! I'am guessing young lady in pic is your "hunting partner". Question is that bear in background "local" or from neighboring state ?
Thanks for posting updates !

Boone

Yes, Ava is really into hunting. I don't know about the bear. We do have them in the county but this pic was taken at the taxidermist.

Here is a short update. I have been reading back through this thread for fun and saw the post about mice and other potential rodent issues. So far in the three years I have not had any rodent issues and I hope it stays that way.

The issue of the heater causing the windows to fog and condense has been limited by following the advice on here about venting. What I do is open the small window next to the heater about a half inch then open the window opposite the corner the heater is on a quarter inch and those two windows do a great job of keeping the windows clear (not perfect but enough that I can see out them without much difficulty).

Also, the tower is still in great shape after all the winds it has dealt with these last three years. The door still closes perfect and the windows show no issues of it being out of square/plumb. You can feel the wind hit it on the real windy days but it is stout enough to withstand it.

Overall I am still very happy with it. I never painted the inside and do not know if I will. I want to put carpet in still but haven't had any left over yet that would work from a jobsite.