Started my tower stand today

/ Started my tower stand today
To some of you fellows buying material for deer stands, windows, etc, be sure to check out the Habitat for Humanity Restores... They have all sorts of doors/windows at very cheap prices... a few years ago while building a shop, I picked up a door and three windows for $60 American...

I never knew about these stores. The nearest one I found near me is an hours drive to Buffalo. I am not a fan of driving to Buffalo unless it involves going to HSBC arena for a Sabres game or other fun event. Thanks though, if I am up in that area I will stop in and see what they have for my next tower.

Mine has open sides. If you look closely you can see the fence I used to keep it safe. All I did after those pics was to put up the rafters and put some old barn tin on the top. It is in the trees so we have been out there in a downpour without getting wet. I hung it over the sides about 8 inches on all 4 sides. It is about 100 feet from the house.

It is withing 10 yeards of a heavily used game trail so we should be able to get some turkeys from it too. We aren't into deer hunting right now but may in the future.

I have also added an alarm system (old fashioned dinner triangle to be used while under attack from "enemy forces") a provision replenishment system (bucket and pulley for snacks and drinks) and a sheild system (scrap wood). a girls OK/no girls reversible sign and also some bb gun holders. My son is 8 if you can't tell. I also set up an area between the rafters separated by years. Whenever he has a new buddy up there they sign it. I figure over the years this will be pretty cool to see who all enjoyed it. I imagine in the teenage years there might even be some girls names too!

Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if you were just putting a roof on or if you were putting another story on top :) I am sure you and your kid will have a lot of fun up there.

/ Started my tower stand today #23  
I did get the OSB and 2x4's for the walls. I bought 30 8' 2x4's and 12' sheets of 7/16's OSB at Home Depot. I paid $64 and it didn't ring a bell till I told my dad that I was surprised I bought all this material for less then I paid for that door the day before. Well he knew there was a mistake and when I checked the receipt they only charged me for one 2x4

So, did you go back, and pay for the materials that they didn't charge you for? :confused:

So, did you go back, and pay for the materials that they didn't charge you for? :confused:

I did tell the manager the next day I was there getting some materials for a job. He didn't care and told me to have a good day. Of course he also knows we give them a ton of money each year so a few 2x4's isn't a big deal to them:rolleyes:

/ Started my tower stand today #25  
I did tell the manager the next day I was there getting some materials for a job. He didn't care and told me to have a good day. Of course he also knows we give them a ton of money each year so a few 2x4's isn't a big deal to them:rolleyes:

Did you mention it to your minister, on Sunday morning?

Did you mention it to your minister, on Sunday morning?

?????:confused:

I am kind of losing track as to where your going with this? First of all I do not go to church. Second of all I do not do things for other peoples approval and I will not brag about doing what is right. I do what I believe is right because that is how I was raised and that is the example I want to lead for my daughter.

/ Started my tower stand today #27  
?????:confused:

I am kind of losing track as to where your going with this? First of all I do not go to church. Second of all I do not do things for other peoples approval and I will not brag about doing what is right. I do what I believe is right because that is how I was raised and that is the example I want to lead for my daughter.

Where I'm going is, you took advantage of a store clerk's mistake.

Had you been charged for 60 2x4s, would you have let that mistake go, as well? If it doesn't work both ways, that sets an example for your daughter, as well.

Where I'm going is, you took advantage of a store clerk's mistake.

Had you been charged for 60 2x4s, would you have let that mistake go, as well? If it doesn't work both ways, that sets an example for your daughter, as well.

How did I take advantage of anyones mistake? I talked to the manager the next day about it. It isn't the first time and it has happened both ways before. We give Home Depot over $30k every year and up to $50k depending on the year. The manager knows us and is not worried about a $60 mistake. I realized the mistake when I talked to my dad well after I left the store.

I have also made mistakes myself while billing customers. If I misfigure under I always eat the mistake as I won't tell someone a price then later tell them they owe me more money if I am higher I call them immediately and explain the mistake and make ammends. It doesn't happen often but it has happened. So your more then welcome to judge me however you want but I can care less what some name on the computer thinks about me. You know absolutely nothing about me, if you did you would realize how off you are in your judgement. I do find it sad that my thread about a fun project I am working on has headed to this. Enjoy the day

ps, why don't you fill out your profile instead of being so secretive? It would go a long way for others to learn a little about you

/ Started my tower stand today #29  
ok lets get back on track here...any more progress on the fun tree stand project? sounds like the scavenger hunt part is about over. any ceilings,completed walls, ect..

i need pics man!:D

ok lets get back on track here...any more progress on the fun tree stand project? sounds like the scavenger hunt part is about over. any ceilings,completed walls, ect..

i need pics man!:D

It has been raining and snowing here the last few days so I haven't been back there to work on it. I am almost done scavenging and just have to find a few more things but nothing that will stop me from putting the roof up now. I just need the weather to clear up. It is raining right now and 37 degrees out so I am in no hurry to go out there as it is a long drive on the tractor carrying materials and tools only to get rained/froze out.

Tomorrow is supposed to be good and the temps are going back up to the 60s this next week so I hope to finish it by next weekend. I will post pics as I go. Thanks for the interest:)