Starship News

/ Starship News #111  
It just occurs to me that setting down a 150' tower on an irregular and unexplored surface might present more than a few challenges with balance. At least on the moon there is no wind, unlike Mars. Imagine trying to land it on a random spot on earth, and then blast out a hole from the soil (regolith), leaving behind the big, heavy boulders and rocks and stay balanced. LEM is a piece of cake by contrast. If sending humans to the moon is the goal, why not fly several LEM like craft rather than a giant magic marker? I suspect that the reason is really just a warm up for a Mars trip
I believe that the Starship that will land on the moon will use retro-rocket engines that will be located most of the way up the outside of the ship and angled out away from it for just that reason, so as not to blast a hole where it intends to set down.

/ Starship News #112  
FAA approved the launch license - and yes, SpaceX is officially targeting Nov 11th. They removed the "no earlier than".

/ Starship News
FAA approved the launch license - and yes, SpaceX is officially targeting Nov 11th. They removed the "no earlier than".

Everything is pointing to tomorrow @ as early as 8 am EST.

Boca Chica launch site live stream countdown

/ Starship News #116  
Yes Jim, I did mean the 17th. But as usual, one extra day of slip to the left.

/ Starship News #118  
Still on for Sat am, notice only 20 min launch window.

Launch time: 7:00 -7:20 a.m. CST (8 a.m. - 8:20 p.m. EST / 1300-1320 UTC)

/ Starship News #119  
Successful launch, successful separation. Booster blew up after separation, looks like Starship blew up at about engine shut down.

/ Starship News
Great that all Booster engines ran the duration.
Hot staging must have been a bit more Dynamic than they anticipated

8: 40 Plume appeared and telemetry lost