Starship News

/ Starship News
Yeah somewhere North of 13000000 lb of thrust
Here is a screen shot
It looks to have excavated under the launch mount

After listening to the Angry Astronauts commentary, have to think there is a possibility that the Integrated rocket launch might have completed its mission if not for damage to the spacecraft caused by all of the excavation and flying debris.

They may find large pieces of concrete hundreds if not thousands of feet from the launch mount.

Before the next launch metal and water cooled steel trenches need to be installed to eliminate damage to the rocket before it even begins to move. There are Other things that they will fix or improve but, the launch mount base is going to be a good starting place.
There is no proof, but sure would not doubt they are able nail down damage caused by flying concrete as a cause of failing engines. No idea on failure of stage separation

/ Starship News #34  
Just read a report from the company that films the launches for SpaceX and it said that it looked like about a 25' deep crater under the pad...

/ Starship News #35  
The ever optimistic Elon Musk posted that the launch pad and Starship will be ready for another test launch in 6-8 weeks. They had already started to build a water cooled steel flame trench that didn't get installed before the first launch. BUT... no idea when the FAA will give clearance for the next launch, especially since the 'destruct' sequence took longer to initiate than it should have.

/ Starship News
The ever optimistic Elon Musk posted that the launch pad and Starship will be ready for another test launch in 6-8 weeks. They had already started to build a water cooled steel flame trench that didn't get installed before the first launch. BUT... no idea when the FAA will give clearance for the next launch, especially since the 'destruct' sequence took longer to initiate than it should have.

Yeah from what has been online , The self destruct only blew holes in the sides of the rockets.
Still seems like the hole/hull depressurization finally led to the destruction. Making a more zipper like destruct shaped charge might work better. Overall If it proves out that the flying debris is what damaged the engines and flight control /APU hydraulics It speaks really well of the rockets.
They absolutely need to nail down the launch mount and harden the facility so that it is safe for the other launch facility components and also the integrated rocket itself.

If SpaceX gets the launch mount rebuilt with the improvements needed in a timely manner, Sure hope the FAA doesn't hamstring them for an extended period.

Last edited:
   / Starship News #37  
From looking at history, NASA launched and launched just to see them rocket blow up for years before they mastered it. Its not easy.

/ Starship News #38  
If SpaceX gets the launch mount rebuilt with the improvements needed in a timely manner, Sure hope the FAA doesn't hamstring them for an extended period.
Some of the speculation I have read is that Elon made the announcement he did about the timeline of being ready was to help prod the FAA into not dragging their feet approving the next launch.

I agree, if the debris is what damaged the engines/controls, then it is amazing that they didn't loose more engines/control. That appears to be one tough bird.

Hopefully the flame trench will solve the debris issues. I would love to find video/pics of what they are doing to the launch pad at them moment.

/ Starship News #39  
I was very surprised when I read there was no impingement barrier or flame trench with water on the launch pad. Oversight or just stupidity?

/ Starship News #40  
I was very surprised when I read there was no impingement barrier or flame trench with water on the launch pad. Oversight or just stupidity?
Based on initial static tests they felt it was not needed for this launch. They felt it would be needed for future launches and that is why they were in the process of building the water cooled flame trench, to be installed before the next launch. Somewhere I saw a tweet from Musk indicating this, and he admitted they were obviously wrong.