Starlink

/ Starlink #3,851  
Appears to have been a global outage, with reports coming in from other countries. (Per downdector.com)

Up now here.

/ Starlink #3,854  
Ukrainian attack?
As in anti-Ukrainian? My understanding is that there have been a fair few already against Starlink, but the only folks who really know are the hackees, aka Starlink and they don't say much. I have not seen any hackers or security researchers claiming to have gotten inside.

But to answer your question, I don't think so. Taking the whole system down gets attention. Other sorts of hacking are harder to find, more tactically useful, and less likely to be discovered.

The Starlink board level security looks pretty high to me, which suggests to me that security was thought about in the design and execution. TBD, but nothing is perfect or forever.

I think that the standard home modem/routers have much lower barriers to entry, but I don't do Red team hacking, so that is not an opinion born of any expertise. I remember one that had a six letter/digit lowercase password that could only be changed by a phone call with the internet provider, and yet it was in use daily by the router. :rolleyes:

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,855  
Guess I am hoping for more occasional global outages!

My speed in Northern NV has consistently exceeded 150mbps since the outage. About 4x typical speed.

250mbps right now.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,857  
No noticeable speed changes for me, I haven't bothered running a speed test.

/ Starlink #3,858  
It could be they did an unannounced tweak or upgrade to some logic or mapping that took everything down briefly but boosted some throughput.

/ Starlink #3,859  
I don't typically pay attention to speeds because I never have speed problems. But I do know that speeds were somewhere around 100 Mb/s when I have occasionally checked. Checked twice since the outage and speeds have been 160-170. I'll take it.

/ Starlink #3,860  
After a great 3 years with starlink I canceled the service and went to the new fiber. The main reason is fiber connection is cheaper and starlink used to look north where I had no obstructions about a year or so ago it aimed itself east where multiple big trees are in the way that I didn't want to take down.

Even with an obstruction every 7 seconds it still streamed shows perfectly.