Starlink

/ Starlink #3,831  
Interesting, some wired devices show the IP, some don’t. Yet some of those that don’t show Ip still work on the network.
The wired devices that show without IP on my network are my wireless bridges. Maybe something special about them because they are other network devices and not endpoint devices.

/ Starlink #3,832  
if you can change the dhcp range on the starlink router you should be fine.

/ Starlink #3,833  
if you can change the dhcp range on the starlink router you should be fine.
That’s the point, you can’t. You have no control other than bypass mode, so it’s just a modem.

/ Starlink #3,834  
That’s the point, you can’t. You have no control other than bypass mode, so it’s just a modem.
well its a router without mgmt,

fyi dhcp reservation is generally a better way to go, it keeps track for you of what ip's are reserved and everything is in one place, and you don't have to adjust it on the device.

/ Starlink #3,835  
It is a real router in terms of what it means in a standard consumer context (basically, it does DHCP & NAT).

It just doesn't have a lot of features power users are use to.

Personally I have a OpenWRT router/AP for my Dishy. Just waiting on a Dishy Dualie DC power supply to kick over to a DC only setup on the RV & kick over to a more configurable router. Although that Dishy Dualie is months behind the promised ship date.

If the DHCP scope on the Starlink router us only 128 hosts, you could hard code your gear to use an IP outside of the DHCP range but still in the same subnet. Not clear if Starlink only does a 128 IP range, but somebody else above indicated it might. That's how I run my DHCP ranges. .1 to .50 on a subnet are for network gear & servers. .50-.200 are DHCP. .201 & up generally don't get used except for wierd stuff.
With regard to the 128 address limit, the Starlink router appears to use addresses from all possible 255 entries in its subnet, but has an upper limit of 128. I have never tried more than a few addresses personally, but I have noted that the assigned addresses populated both the lower and the upper 128 of the 256 possible addresses.

Configurability aside, I think it is a fine router, with low latency, reasonable throughout and a pretty decent RF for WiFi.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,836  
In my experience, the Starlink performance does wax and wane for non-obvious reasons sometimes.
Same experience here. At 3:30am this morning I would expect low system loading, yet my speed was 12mbps.

13 hours later, about 4:30pm, its 43mbps.

Each of those is about a million times faster than my former HughesNet. :)

/ Starlink #3,837  
Starlink is sending me a new router.

/ Starlink #3,838  
Anbody need a Starlink mesh unit at half price?

Just a mesh unit to add to existing system.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,839  
I just picked up the same deal from a different TBN member last week. We will be using our second unit in the RV. Somebody should snatch this up PDQ.

/ Starlink #3,840  
Anybody else in a long outage?