Starlink

/ Starlink #4,141  
My problem with Starlink ( why I won't buy it ) is the cost. $600 up front?? And then $120 each month? Are they kidding?

So, I will continue to use my T-Mobile ISP modem. They provided the equipment at no charge to me, the data is fast and totally unlimited (we use over 1 TB monthly ) and the monthly cost is a flat $40 with auto-pay. I love it.

If Elon wants to get serious about his internet option the price has to come way down. I can buy what I'm using for 3 households and then pay for a 4th household for over a year for the cost of one Starlink setup.

/ Starlink #4,142  
None of the major carriers offer cellular ISP service in my area. Just checked T-Mobile and nope, no go.

/ Starlink #4,143  
My problem with Starlink ( why I won't buy it ) is the cost. $600 up front?? And then $120 each month? Are they kidding?

So, I will continue to use my T-Mobile ISP modem. They provided the equipment at no charge to me, the data is fast and totally unlimited (we use over 1 TB monthly ) and the monthly cost is a flat $40 with auto-pay. I love it.

If Elon wants to get serious about his internet option the price has to come way down. I can buy what I'm using for 3 households and then pay for a 4th household for over a year for the cost of one Starlink setup.

If you have other ISP options that meet your needs for lower costs than you're not a target customer for Starlink. I'd go so far as to say you should NOT be considering using SL if you have ISP options such as T-Mobile you mention. For folks who have no other ISP options with the speed and bandwidth that SL provides it is a fantastic deal. Starlink has never been intended or marketed as a competitor for terrestrial ISPs.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #4,145  
Agree with Scootr and BB1. Only options here are DSL and Satellite. Cell signal is not available on most days. I had ViaSat- which cost over $200 a month for much slower internet and data limits. Starlink is awesome compared to all my other options and cost.

/ Starlink #4,146  
I agree as well. Now I was recently offered opportunity to get fiber from local telephone company. Only $59,000 paid in full up front to run line to my property. Without any price changes about 100 years of Starlink to break even. At 77 yo, don’t think I quite have 100 years left.

/ Starlink #4,147  
The last year that I was renting, befor moving into my house, I was able to get T-mobile 5G modem. For 50 bucks a month it was about 130 mg/ second it got faster as the year went on. If that was an option here, I’d consider it. But I’m far out in the sticks. Starlink is an absolute game changer. There were two outages today. And usually there are none. We had about 2 minutes this afternoon And tonight g we had about 8-10 minutes of outage around 9:45 pm. The service has been so reliable that I was puling up the app and wondering “what the heck is going on?”

/ Starlink #4,148  
Yep, mine was showing up when it was still down. Down about 25 min.

/ Starlink #4,149  
It seems to cover all of North America, and there are reports from the Caribbean, and Australia, so global. 18:27PDT (1:27UTC) onward for ten minutes, plus a few more glitches in the ensuing half hour.

The App reports
"Service outage​
Our team is investigating and will resolve as soon as possible."​
All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #4,150  
Yes, a 20 minute outage here last evening.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2014 Krone Easy Cut 3200 Hay Cutter (A33041)
2014 Krone Easy...
STACKABLE BARRIER BLOCK (A32908)
STACKABLE BARRIER...
Black and Decker 14in Electric String Trimmer (A33719)
Black and Decker...
Lawn Vacuum (A33041)
Lawn Vacuum (A33041)
New DeWalt 4 1/2" Small Angle Grinder - D28402 (A33349)
New DeWalt 4 1/2"...
Bobcat 40" Rotary Tiller (A32803)
Bobcat 40" Rotary...