Starlink

/ Starlink #3,461  
I got the notice for $10 increase as well. I have only had Starlink for a few months. My speeds have decreased a little during peak times, but overall been good. It is much faster and more reliable than the Frontier DSL that we had before. I am not really happy about the increase; but it is still the best service for us. Not turning in my equipment! Everything is more expensive. Inflation is here to stay for a while. Not sure why Starlink is increasing oversubscribed areas, but maybe it is to discourage further over subscription? If so, I am OK with that.

Jack

/ Starlink #3,462  
I got the email this morning. Let's see, Starlink over subscribed my area, service has dropped due to that and now they want to charge me more for poorer service that is their fault. To me, there is something wrong with this picture. Time to call Verizon to see what they have for mobile hot spot service. This is my second increase in a year, I doubt I will drop them this time. But I want to be prepared as they will get dropped if rates go up again this year.

/ Starlink #3,463  
Well I'll be danged;

Starlink Logo
The Starlink monthly service for residential customers is changing as follows:

• $20 decrease in areas with excess capacity. New price will be $90/month.
  • $10 increase in areas with limited capacity. New price will be $120/month.

As a current customer in an area with excess capacity, your monthly service price will decrease to $90/month beginning today.

If you do not wish to continue service, you can cancel at any time on your account page. Your Starlink hardware can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase, or a partial refund of $250 within 12 months of purchase.

As the SpaceX team launches more satellites to increase capacity, the Starlink team is making continuous network updates to improve performance over time. Thanks for being a customer and for your continued support of Starlink!

I got the decreased price,
I guess it's to go along with the also decreased speeds and increased latency's.
However it's still better then my previous connection.

/ Starlink #3,464  
Yep, just got the same notice. I waited 18 months to get the service, and saw a price increase even before it was installed. And month to month I've seen speeds drop to the point now that I get buffering when streaming videos, just like with the HughesNet service Starlink replaced. It would be a different story if performance actually increased. Now I'm feeling punished because I live in an area with no other choice than satellite internet, and just like HughesNet, WildBlue, and Exede before it, Starlink is oversubscribing the service and I'm suffering the consequences.
You have to be kidding comparing it to Hughesnet...

We Barely ever saw more than 50kbs down.

A 2 minute video took a half hour to download and would virtually wipe out a months data usage. That is if it did not close the connection

Our original dial up service was equal or better than what Hughesnet provided. That is No joke.

Couldn't even order off of amazon due to slow connection speeds closing the connection.

/ Starlink #3,465  
I got the email this morning. Let's see, Starlink over subscribed my area, service has dropped due to that and now they want to charge me more for poorer service that is their fault. To me, there is something wrong with this picture. Time to call Verizon to see what they have for mobile hot spot service. This is my second increase in a year, I doubt I will drop them this time. But I want to be prepared as they will get dropped if rates go up again this year.
Exactly. Who makes these policy changes!? We all have experienced decreased service in oversold service areas plus a data cap and 2 cost increases in a year. Decreasing somebody else's cost at the same time stinks of a socialized internet supply. Basically that tells me everybody's cost could have stayed the same. You can't make more people sign up by charging me more. Idiots at work.

/ Starlink #3,466  
Woodchuckdad, enjoying the popcorn?

Best effort should get reduced, not increased. We’re just using the leftover.

/ Starlink #3,467  
Got the notice this morning. Not happy about it but there are really no alternatives. We have not seen any performance issues.

When we were using a cell based Internet, one could see performance issues in the evening, and Starlink is now at the price we were paying for that cell service but with better performance. That cell service had performance issues and was better than CenturyStink DSL, but the service eventually just stopped working while increasing the month cost.

I have been at a relatives house with cable Internet and I could not see a performance difference compared to Starlink.

I do wonder how many people are in my cell. There are many homes in my area that cannot use Starlink due to tree cover.

/ Starlink #3,468  
You have to be kidding comparing it to Hughesnet...
Sadly, I'm not. HughesNet buffered more often while streaming, but Starlink now buffers where it never used to. And Starlink customer service is basically non-existent, where I could at least get a HughesNet person on the phone to tell me lies. Starlink is still marginally better than any of the four stationary satellite providers I've had, but the margin of improvement is steadily decreasing. This in spite of the glowing promises made by Elon and crew, and now two price increases. Paying more for less isn't exactly the American Way. At this point, if there were a viable alternative to Starlink, I'd be on it like a rooster on a June bug.

/ Starlink #3,469  
We actually have a Verizon mobile hot spot the miss's uses when she is traveling, which is about 18 days a month. I'm not sure if I could add a second MHS. If we use the MHS at home, download speeds are in the 30-40Mb/s range which is plenty for us. Which I would be using if she didn't travel so much. She has at least another year of this traveling.

/ Starlink #3,470  
Sadly, I'm not. HughesNet buffered more often while streaming, but Starlink now buffers where it never used to. And Starlink customer service is basically non-existent, where I could at least get a HughesNet person on the phone to tell me lies. Starlink is still marginally better than any of the four stationary satellite providers I've had, but the margin of improvement is steadily decreasing. This in spite of the glowing promises made by Elon and crew, and now two price increases. Paying more for less isn't exactly the American Way. At this point, if there were a viable alternative to Starlink, I'd be on it like a rooster on a June bug.
Bet you will have alternatives if you move back into town.