Starlink

/ Starlink #1,722  
Gpon baby!
lol not really, the point of gpon, was to use less fiber, and use splitters. a single fiber line can be split up over 100 times, if the signal quality is good enough and the runs are short enough.

extra strands are good, if a line gets damaged or more bandwidth is needed. most fiber runs need 2 strands per connection

/ Starlink #1,723  
lol not really, the point of gpon, was to use less fiber, and use splitters. a single fiber line can be split up over 100 times, if the signal quality is good enough and the runs are short enough.

extra strands are good, if a line gets damaged or more bandwidth is needed. most fiber runs need 2 strands per connection
First time a ran into gpon, was an install in an apartment complex, probably 10 years ago.

/ Starlink #1,724  
I needed to run fiber for my solar array, because the smart system controller is at the combiner box and it needs to talk to the power switch and batteries, which are about 500' straight-line from the combiner (array is in the field, switch is in the shop). The system typically is all clustered together and usually uses ZigBee to communicate but in my case we had to hop a USB connection across the distance - and 600' (the trench isn't straight) is too far for Ethernet, so it was fiber.

I ran 4 strands - 1 was needed for the USB-over-Fiber, 1 or 2 for future expansion (who knows what), and one more in case something was wrong with the other fibers... and then one more because it was a choice of 1, 2, 4, n+2.

The price difference between 1 and 4 was pretty minor (like $50 or so) and compared to wasted time and more labor replacing the line there was a problem for me made for an easy decision.

I tested all four strands and they're all good; we'll see if I ever need more. I chalk up the success to thwarting Murphy's law by getting more than I needed.

/ Starlink #1,726  
I needed to run fiber for my solar array, because the smart system controller is at the combiner box and it needs to talk to the power switch and batteries, which are about 500' straight-line from the combiner (array is in the field, switch is in the shop). The system typically is all clustered together and usually uses ZigBee to communicate but in my case we had to hop a USB connection across the distance - and 600' (the trench isn't straight) is too far for Ethernet, so it was fiber.

I ran 4 strands - 1 was needed for the USB-over-Fiber, 1 or 2 for future expansion (who knows what), and one more in case something was wrong with the other fibers... and then one more because it was a choice of 1, 2, 4, n+2.

The price difference between 1 and 4 was pretty minor (like $50 or so) and compared to wasted time and more labor replacing the line there was a problem for me made for an easy decision.

I tested all four strands and they're all good; we'll see if I ever need more. I chalk up the success to thwarting Murphy's law by getting more than I needed.
Good plan, if you are going to run one, run more, nothing worse than standing there and saying, dang, i wished i run more fiber. Been there after the fact, when i said to the customer, why did they run one pair??

/ Starlink #1,727  
   / Starlink #1,728  
I am 560 feet of cat 5e from my basement router to my solar array to connect it to the fronius online web monitoring. No issues.
I know its just a certification, I have seen installs upwards of 700+ feet at 10mbit., you can add dsl boxes, and go miles too.

/ Starlink #1,729  
My Starlink is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday and I can't wait, neither can my 18 year old computer geek of a son. We've been using Viasat, works fine for most internet browsing, but streaming and games are awful for the most part. Couldn't due cellular as we have to run a booster to get 1-2 bars in the house. I still wouldn't trade a thing to be able to live out here. The peace and quiet and wildlife and woods ***** anything else.

Tim

/ Starlink #1,730  
My Starlink is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday and I can't wait, neither can my 18 year old computer geek of a son. We've been using Viasat, works fine for most internet browsing, but streaming and games are awful for the most part. Couldn't due cellular as we have to run a booster to get 1-2 bars in the house. I still wouldn't trade a thing to be able to live out here. The peace and quiet and wildlife and woods ***** anything else.

Tim
How long were you on the wait list and where are you located?

The information might provide some hope for others in your area.