Starlink

/ Starlink #3,431  
No ship yet on my Starlink shipment.

They do have a note posted that currently they are experiencing higher than normal demand and shipment could be delayed up to 4 to 6 weeks.

At least the Old Mobley keeps ticking along at $23 a month

/ Starlink #3,432  
I am very curious in what world starlink is faster than fiber. Fiber is typically approaching 1gbps, where starlink is under 100mbps.
I'm seeing download speeds with my 'regular' Starlink in the 130-160 Mb/s range, for $110/month. Fiber here has a MAX download speed of 100Mb/s, my neighbors who actually have the service are seeing 50-80Mb/s speeds. Cost for the fiber 100Mb speed package is $150/month, lower speed packages cost less. They wanted $8500 to install fiber to my house. Starlink wins.

/ Starlink #3,433  
Good info, thanks.

/ Starlink #3,434  
I'm seeing download speeds with my 'regular' Starlink in the 130-160 Mb/s range, for $110/month. Fiber here has a MAX download speed of 100Mb/s, my neighbors who actually have the service are seeing 50-80Mb/s speeds. Cost for the fiber 100Mb speed package is $150/month, lower speed packages cost less. They wanted $8500 to install fiber to my house. Starlink wins.
Wow, fiber around here is starting at 500mbps up and down, most of them are exclusively gbit. And it costs about $80/mo. If it's that different, then I completely understand, I never heard of fiber being that slow though.

/ Starlink #3,435  
Wow, fiber around here is starting at 500mbps up and down, most of them are exclusively gbit. And it costs about $80/mo. If it's that different, then I completely understand, I never heard of fiber being that slow though.
The company provides 1-20Gb/s for business service at $737-$1252/month, but 100Mb/s is max for residential service and they just raised those rates to $170/month.

/ Starlink #3,436  
WHAT????

/ Starlink #3,438  
So if I was to get Starlink for Home can I still take when I am in the RV as well?

/ Starlink #3,439  
So if I was to get Starlink for Home can I still take when I am in the RV as well?
No. Different equipment, different subscriptions. You could use the RV at home, but the subscription price is a little higher ($135/mo, instead of $110/mo). For the RV version, there are two types of hardware, a portable base station, like the home version($599), and an "in motion" version for $2,300.

RV:

Residential

There are also maritime and aviation versions, neither of which is cheap, it if you need it, it is there.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,440  
Here's some additional detail on the plans:

The normal RV version can be used anywhere (at least anywhere within your country). Its service is at a lower level of prioritization compared to residential or business service in the cell you happen to be in at the time. Not intended to be used on a moving vehicle

Residential service by itself can only be used at the designated service address. It is prioritized above RV and 'best effort' service plans. If you pay a bit extra ($25/mo?) you can add portability to your residential plan and then use the system anywhere. Again, not meant for use on a moving vehicle. I forget whether your priority gets lowered if you are out of your home cell.

The in-motion RV system can be used anywhere and while a vehicle is in motion.

The 'best effort' plan is a non-portable plan that skips the wait line in your cell but the service is de-prioritized compared to residential and business subscribers in your cell.

If you want prioritized service that you can move to different locations (but not use in motion) then get the residential plan/system with portability.

Last edited: