Starlink

/ Starlink #2,892  
I used a regular cheap bracket from Amazon, and the starlink pipe adapter, the antenna pipe locks right into their adapter.
View attachment 759957
Here is the 150 ft cable. It’s the only cable from router to antenna.
View attachment 759958
The end I’m holding goes into antenna inside it’s pipe.
That is the same bracket we have, from the starlink shop we just bought the adapter and the install kit. It was super easy to install, we have it 30' up in the air on the side of our house.

/ Starlink #2,893  
Again, this is from the roof. Going down hill and using a pole might gain me a bit. I am going to try a roof mount first. It should save me a bit of struggle with the pole and hopefully will give me what I need.
IMG_7889.jpg

I also took a video to show what I am looking at.

/ Starlink #2,894  
Originally had my dish sitting on a picnic table in our side yard. There were a few obstructions, so the connection was less than optimal. However, I got it on an early February day, and was not interested in climbing up for a roof mount in the middle of winter.

Later, I did this mount. The main bracket was ordered from Amazon. Addd a piece of galvanied pipe from the local hardware store and clamped the Starlink antenna mount to that. I was a bit concerned about high winds and the fact that one part of my eaves was not in great shape, so I added some outriggers from an old Satellite TV antenna mount and attached them to a seam on my standing seam roof using S-5! clamps. (A bit of an optical illusion there: the outrigger looks as though it's attached to the very edge of the roof, but it's actually clamped to a seam about 16-18" back from the edge.
Starlink antenna.jpg

/ Starlink #2,895  
Again, this is from the roof. Going down hill and using a pole might gain me a bit. I am going to try a roof mount first. It should save me a bit of struggle with the pole and hopefully will give me what I need.
View attachment 760218

I also took a video to show what I am looking at.

I can bring my RV one down and see what it does.
Nothing that pushing over a few more trees won’t fix.

/ Starlink #2,896  
I can bring my RV one down and see what it does.
Nothing that pushing over a few more trees won’t fix.
I have a ton of obstructions, especially since the leaves came out on the trees. Makes it frustrating to use my SL as some times the internet connection is very fast, other times there is basically no connection. I average about 3.4 hrs of total outage a day due to obstructions in the summer.
I suggested removing a few trees to do away with the obstructions to the wife, she made it clear if I even mentioned it again I would be sleeping on the couch for the foreseeable future!!!!
I'm having a dock put in for my boat, it is about 80 ft long and I am hoping that putting dishy out on the end on a 15 ft pole eliminate my obstructions. I'll find out the end of next week when it is done. :)

/ Starlink #2,897  
Mine looks about due north, pretty high angle.
IMG_5964.JPG

/ Starlink #2,898  
Just another proof of my thoughts.
They say lack of infrastructure and system capacity but turn around and put more drain on the system.
Instead of taking care of the customers that have put down deposits they go and sell what they dont have to another group.
They aren't selling that service nor onboarding anyone for it yet. They're just announcing a future offering. You are mischaracterizing things. I'm not defending Starlink's current situation, just pointing out that things are not as you indicate.

/ Starlink #2,899  
As @plowhog wrote, the antenna doesn't move once it is set up. It is a phased array antenna that electronic steers to follow the satellites.

However to find obstructions, you need to actually be where the antenna will be. If it will be on an eave at the north west corner of the third floor of the house, 2.5' above the roof, then that is where the phone has to be as you swivel it around to check for obstructions. I walked to a number possible places, got a feeling for what the likely problems where, but in the end, you do really need to be where the Starlink antenna will go. I did a bunch of roof walks, and in the end from the roof, I found a much easier/better site than I would have found from the ground. I have zero obstructions.

Be safe.

All the best,

Peter
Very good description of things, and great to point out that obstructions should be checked in the exact position the dish will be installed in.

I'll just add to the phased array part... The antenna itself is actually a circuit board made of up many dozens of individual antennae that can pick up signals from different parts of the sky. The dish, while stationary, grabs a signal as a sat begins passing over, uses it as it passes, then grabs the next one and bridges the connection to the next sat as the first one is heading out of view.

/ Starlink #2,900  
Mine has already shipped so I Expect it this week. I will need the mount kit from S-5 and probably the pivot mount from starlink. I will probably order those tonight. I have spent the last 3 days trying to repair a leaking pipe. I keep cutting and patching and it keeps leaking.

Last edited: