Starlink

/ Starlink #2,131  
With Russia shutting down all the news agencies perhaps Musk could come up with a "dishy" package that could be easily gotten into mother Russia. Think of "Internet Free Russia".
I am convinced that the fall of the Wall was brought about by the flood of information.
I was in West Germany when the Wall fell and drove in (former) East Germany shortly afterwards. It was like driving over a divide going from rainforest to desert.
Politics or escalating towards WW3 aside... That won't work at the moment. Russia is a huge landmass. Currently Starlink needs a uplink with line of sight to the same satellite your Dishy is pointing to. There are uplinks near enough to Ukraine apparently to get service there. But Russia is big enough I doubt that's possible for most of the country.

The new generation of birds have crosslink capability so they can relay traffic to another satellite or multiple satellites to find an uplink station. But there aren't many of those birds up yet.

/ Starlink #2,132  
   / Starlink #2,133  
I don't think it's always a matter of location. Starlink is trying to keep from "overloading" it's network by limiting the number of customers in a given area.

A friend who lives a mile from me here in northeast PA. got Starlink a year ago. I signed up a month after he did and it took over a year before I received the email that my equipment had been shipped. It should be here early next week.
Cant wait to hear how its working for you!!!!

/ Starlink #2,134  
Cant wait to hear how its working for you!!!!
Here we go. I just received an email from Starlink that my equipment order has been delayed. It is now expected to ship on 3/22

The ethernet adapter and angled roof mount are backordered until late April or early May. I'm going to have to cobble something together temporarily when (and if) the dish does arrive.

I found this mount on Amazon that is supposed to fit the square Gen 2 Starlink dish:

If it's as sturdy as reviewers say, I may use it permanently and cancel the order for the Starlink roof mount.

I'm also encouraged by the Gen 2 router reviews on other forums. The range has improved over the Gen 1 and it is supposed to connect up to 128 devices. If so, I may be able to cancel the order for the ethernet adapter as well.

/ Starlink #2,135  
Here we go. I just received an email from Starlink that my equipment order has been delayed. It is now expected to ship on 3/22

The ethernet adapter and angled roof mount are backordered until late April or early May. I'm going to have to cobble something together temporarily when (and if) the dish does arrive.

I found this mount on Amazon that is supposed to fit the square Gen 2 Starlink dish:

If it's as sturdy as reviewers say, I may use it permanently and cancel the order for the Starlink roof mount.

I'm also encouraged by the Gen 2 router reviews on other forums. The range has improved over the Gen 1 and it is supposed to connect up to 128 devices. If so, I may be able to cancel the order for the ethernet adapter as well.
Will you be adding any lighting protection from the mount to the ground?

/ Starlink #2,136  
I have a lightning protected antenna tower that is higher than the dish location so I don't plan on protecting it. There are also utility poles & trees nearby that are taller.

I also have an un grounded satellite TV dish on the roof. We have had lightning strikes here over the years but none close to the house. I know this is no guarantee of protection though.

/ Starlink #2,137  
To mount Dishy while waiting for the mount I ordered, I screwed some scrap 2x4's together in a square/rectangular shape, then screwed the Dish mount that comes into the 2x4s. The 2x4 "grid" is sitting on part of our roof which has a 3/12 pitch which just happens to look north. One side of the grid is doubled up with two 2x4s to kinda match the roof slope. We have some heavy concrete edgers that weigh 15-20 pounds that I put on the 2x4s to hold things in place. I think I put six of the edgers on the 2x4s so their is plenty of weight holding the grid down.

We had 45+ mph wind gusts the other day and Dishy stayed in place. (y) 😁

I am a bit concerned by lightning but we have trees around us and the highest point of the house is the chimney not Dishy. 🤞

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,138  
@bdhsfz6 I recommend a mastic pad between your mount and the fascia, like these;

There was lightning (EMP) suppression built into gen 1 antenna cables, and there is a code requirement for voltage suppression at the point of entry, so I assume it is in the gen 2 system somewhere, but I haven't seen it called out in a tear down. I have gas tube and diode suppression on the transition to Ethernet, as the Starlink cable has a proprietary connector on it.

I do think surge suppressors are a good idea on the power cord as well, but I am kind of belt and suspenders when it comes to EMP protection. Cleaning up after a lightning strike is just a total pain. Ordering new electronics, backing up data from backups, if they survived, takes hours and hours of time out of your life, not to mention the hassle of being dead in the water until the replacements arrive.

I would also put in a plug for a whole house surge suppressor back at the main power panel. So much of what we have and use has electronics in it these days, TVs, light bulbs, fridge, washer, plus computers and phone chargers... Whole house surge protection won't solve everything, but it will attenuate the damage. Sitting on the couch here, I count 18 items in view near me that are EMP vulnerable. It is cheap insurance in my book.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,139  
To mount Dishy while waiting for the mount I ordered, I screwed some scrap 2x4's together in a square/rectangular shape, then screwed the Dish mount that comes into the 2x4s. The 2x4 "grid" is sitting on part of our roof which has a 3/12 pitch which just happens to look north. One side of the grid is doubled up with two 2x4s to kinda match the roof slope. We have some heavy concrete edgers that weigh 15-20 pounds that I put on the 2x4s to hold things in place. I think I put six of the edgers on the 2x4s so their is plenty of weight holding the grid down.

We had 45+ mph wind gusts the other day and Dishy stayed in place. (y) 😁

I am a bit concerned by lightning but we have trees around us and the highest point of the house is the chimney not Dishy. 🤞

Later,
Dan
The Starlink Ridgeline roof mount would have been an alternative but it's no longer available.

1647003389575.png

/ Starlink #2,140  
So frustrated, a work friend just got his dish, he put in an order after I was talking to him about it. He is a town over. :(