Starlink

/ Starlink #1,961  
Finally got a response from Starlink about the reduced speed, at 4 PM. As noted earlier by BigBlue1, they are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible but if I completely loose service to notify them because that would be a different issue.

/ Starlink #1,962  
Received the StarLink kit today. A breeze to set up. I have it temporarily sitting on the ground for now. Here’s the early results. Below the first six are my DSL speed history tests.

A question - does the dish move periodically or does it stay put after the initialization?
1644355870656.jpeg

/ Starlink #1,963  
It may slightly re-adjust in the first day or two but in general once it orients to the preferred aim for your geographical location it will stay in a fixed position. You can 'stow' the dish which tips it up into vertical mode and that may have to be done (rarely) for troubleshooting situations, but that's in your control.

Seems like a lot of chatter about folks getting dishes and having orders confirmed lately. Hopefully that's a good sign that they are blowing through the backlog of deposit holders.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,964  
Thanks fo
It may slightly re-adjust in the first day or two but in general once it orients to the preferred aim for your geographical location it will stay in a fixed position. You can 'stow' the dish which tips it up into vertical mode and that may have to be done (rarely) for troubleshooting situations, but that's in your control.

Seems like a lot of chatter about folks getting dishes and having orders confirmed lately. Hopefully that's a good sign that they are blowing through the backlog of deposit holders.
Thanks BigBlue. Your posts have very informative and helpful all along.

Now I’ve got to figure out how to satisfy HULU. They don’t seem to like it when they can’t verify your address. I’ve run into this when using my phone as a hotspot when the DSL went out in the past.

/ Starlink #1,965  
Thanks BigBlue. Your posts have very informative and helpful all along.

Now I’ve got to figure out how to satisfy HULU. They don’t seem to like it when they can’t verify your address. I’ve run into this when using my phone as a hotspot when the DSL went out in the past.

You're welcome!

I've dealt with that before, I think for Hulu and for sure with YouTubeTV. With YouTubeTV they guide you to go to their web site (via your phone) and run a location check tool which validates the GPS location of your phone and uses that instead of the network-derived geographic data. Hulu has something but I can't recall what it is. Maybe within their app for you phone they can validate location?

ETA:

Looks like for YouTubeTV it is here: YouTube
And this may be it for Hulu: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/location-services

Rob

/ Starlink #1,968  
Received the StarLink kit today. A breeze to set up. I have it temporarily sitting on the ground for now. Here’s the early results. Below the first six are my DSL speed history tests.

A question - does the dish move periodically or does it stay put after the initialization?
View attachment 732751
Boy I wish my dsl speed was even half of what yours was I'm luck if I get 2 mbps on a good day it is usually less than 1.5 down

/ Starlink #1,969  
Upon doing more research, i find out starlink antenna needs so much coear sky and even a single tree will degrade it. Is there an app that can check if i have enough visible sky? I have lots of trees. Id loke to know before i commit to purchasing.

it appears to have a phase arrey type of antenna, so while the unit doesnt move, the internal antenna does grab different signals as satellites move. Very confusing to say the least.

/ Starlink #1,970  
Upon doing more research, i find out starlink antenna needs so much coear sky and even a single tree will degrade it. Is there an app that can check if i have enough visible sky? I have lots of trees. Id loke to know before i commit to purchasing.

it appears to have a phase arrey type of antenna, so while the unit doesnt move, the internal antenna does grab different signals as satellites move. Very confusing to say the least.
Yes. There is a Starlink app for Android and iPhone. Here's a YouTube on how to use it: