Starlink

/ Starlink #1,922  
as far as i know, smart meters communicate over the power grid. but they dont push huge amount of data

/ Starlink #1,923  
Sounds like some bitterness built up somewhere
Wow, no ^^^ ill informed judgement^^^ there at all is there?

I don't have, need, nor am I signed up to subscribe to Starlink.
My statement is based on hearing and reading an inordinate number of stores like this.
Some Starlink customers say SpaceX's customer service is 'non-existent' nearly 1 year after paying a $100 deposit and receiving no updates
and even in this very thread, below is just one of many that Starlink hasn't delivered to...
Post in thread 'Starlink' Starlink

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,924  
Delivered very little?? That's a curious analysis. I think what they have put in place in terms of satellite infrastructure, ground station infrastructure around the world and the user terminal devices is quite a feat. It has revolutionized remote location network connectivity. Sounds like some bitterness built up somewhere causing a blurred view of the situation...

For every satisfied Starlink customer, there are 10 on the paid wait list, some for more than a year. It's going to take a while for that resentment to ease, if and when I ever get the service.

Starlink should not have "dangled the carrot" and taken money from people, knowing full well their service would not be available for a year or more.

/ Starlink #1,925  
For every satisfied Starlink customer, there are 10 on the paid wait list, some for more than a year. It's going to take a while for that resentment to ease, if and when I ever get the service.

Starlink should not have "dangled the carrot" and taken money from people, knowing full well their service would not be available for a year or more.
I guess patience is a thing of the past. You can get your $99 deposit back anytime you want, but if you wait for the service you'll be happy once you get it.

/ Starlink #1,926  

It was made available to a select few in my area.

That's what prompted me to sign up.

That and Starlinks eMail invite.

If it was a capacity issue, the invite should never have been sent. IMHO.

Now this premium announcement is more of a punch in the gut.

Not impressed, but then I have zero choices.

/ Starlink #1,927  
I guess patience is a thing of the past. You can get your $99 deposit back anytime you want, but if you wait for the service you'll be happy once you get it.

I was patient enough when I paid my deposit under the idea Starlink would make good on their 4 month estimated wait time. That estimate has now been extended twice and I've been waiting over a year. Had they told me it would be that long in the first place, I wouldn't have signed up.

Patience and good ethics are two different things. As you say, I will likely be satisfied once I get the service but the resentment will still be around awhile. Now that I have 5G wireless internet, it certainly will figure in my decision whether or not to stay with Starlink.

/ Starlink #1,928  
I was patient enough when I paid my deposit under the idea Starlink would make good on their 4 month estimated wait time. That estimate has now been extended twice and I've been waiting over a year. Had they told me it would be that long in the first place, I wouldn't have signed up.

Patience and good ethics are two different things. As you say, I will likely be satisfied once I get the service but the resentment will still be around awhile. Now that I have 5G wireless internet, it certainly will figure in my decision whether or not to stay with Starlink.

Who is your LTE carrier?

I have another bad story with one vendor.

And falling back to copper is not an option either. LOL.

/ Starlink #1,929  
If I had 5 g internet available I would probably go with it over Starlink. Our internet is dsl and on a good day we might get 1.8 mbps down but that is rare.

/ Starlink #1,930  
as far as i know, smart meters communicate over the power grid. but they dont push huge amount of data
I would suppose they have to. They changed mine out last year to one of those but it sure as hell doesn't connect to my internet. They used to come out and read the meter but no more. Here's a Snipit from our power company

"
"Smart grid technologies have a growing importance for our grid modernization efforts as we seek to transform our operations to a focus on clean energy. Not only are these initiatives important for increased efficiency, but they are also crucial to maintain a reliable and resilient grid in the future," said Jeff Beasley, vice president of customer operations at Evergy.

Evergy utilities began deploying Landis+Gyr's Gridstream AMI network in 2010 and have since begun a process for updating older meters to meet new data and operational requirements.

"Our long-term relationship with Evergy has always been focused on solving operational challenges with technology and teamwork," said Prasanna Venkatesan, Landis+Gyr's executive vice president of the Americas region. "We're excited about the opportunity to work with Evergy on new ways to leverage its AMI technology to improve customer experience and grid management for the next decade."

Evergy has deployed Gridstream Connect, an IoT device platform built on a smart grid network that connects intelligent devices, such as meters and sensors, across the utility distribution system. By leveraging hardware, software, and application development, Gridstream Connect provides a strong and flexible platform for smart grid and utility IoT applications that support clean, reliable, and affordable energy delivery, while helping manage a future-ready grid."