Stand On Mowers

/ Stand On Mowers #21  
Does anyone use the cup holder on their mower?

I have on all my tractors and ZTRs, but I usually have a bottle of Gatorade (screw-on lid) in a foam koozie. Yes I have to stop to drink it but it helps during long hot days.

/ Stand On Mowers
Ok, just opening this year old post back up to see if any new members are using a stand on mower and would like to share the pros and cons. I’m kind of needing a new mower and interested in a stand on. Just don’t know anyone personally who uses one.

/ Stand On Mowers #23  
Never owned one but after mowing for 10 yrs on the professional side...

Easier to duck out the way going under tree limbs.

Easier to dismount or jump off of if things go south.

Easier to see unwanted objects in tall grass in unfamiliar yards you may mow.

As far as ditch banks/slopes/hillsides.. I have my Dixie chopper for that, so my opinion may be skewed a little. 😁

Last edited:
   / Stand On Mowers #24  
The Amish use those around here. I haven't been able to figure out why but it's common to see them standing up while mowing around here.

/ Stand On Mowers #26  
Commercial lawn mowing guys use the "standers".
I can't imagine anyone paying nearly $10K for a DeWalt mower!
For a Kubota, or SCAG, or Bad Boy, etc.....yes..... but for a DeWalt?
It's got that 'DeWalt' $2K+ tax.

/ Stand On Mowers #28  
I have owned and operated many 'stand on' commercial mowers. Mine were all Scags. I was in the lawn care business for about 18 years and sold the mowing part of my business about 3 years ago.

I started out with 'sit on' zero turn mowers, but eventually went to all 'stand on'.

Reasons I went to stand on include;
Stand ons are shorter and fit better on a trailer.
With a stand on, it is easier to see your surroundings, especially when backing up.
On a long day, I would be less fatigued with a stand on. This was because it is easier to get on and off the mower many, many times a day.
A stand on was usually about 30% less purchase cost than an equal sized sit on.

I think a sit on would be a better choice if you will be operating in one area for long periods, or if you have leg, or knee problems.

If you have back problems, the stand on might be better, because your legs/knees can absorb the bumps better than your back.

/ Stand On Mowers #29  
Ok, just opening this year old post back up to see if any new members are using a stand on mower and would like to share the pros and cons. I’m kind of needing a new mower and interested in a stand on. Just don’t know anyone personally who uses one.
I got one, a Bradley, got it end of last fall so this was my first full year with one. I primarily got it because my back was taking a pounding mowing my property on a sit down. I'm real happy with it, I love it in every single way over a sit down mower. It's a 48" deck, but will run circles around the 60" MMM on my Massey, way more efficient, is way more comfortable to use, and honestly a whole bunch more fun too. Does awesome on hills!

I'm on 2.6 acres, uneven terrain, bunch of obstacles like trees, and it takes me about 2.5 hrs to do all that. It took me at least 3 hrs on the Massey, and then my back was all wrecked from bouncing around on the seat. With the stander, your legs are the shock absorbers. At the end of it, my legs feel like I got a little bit of exercise, that's about it. But then, I'm in pretty good shape, so maybe that helps there too.

I did lots of comparable shopping, and asked a bunch of questions on Youtube. I didn't want blow the bank coz I'm just doing my own property, however I did want a quality machine. All the used ones I saw were high hour clapped out machines which landscapers were selling, so no thx to that! I wanted a new one, so the two I settled on was either the Bradley or Wright Stander B, both in the $5k range at the time. Both US assembled (I'm sure bunch of foreign parts, but so it goes). Bradley had better specs, whereas the Wright has their name (they originated the stand on mower).

I settled on the Bradley, $4,800 delivered from SLE Equipment, which was an unbelievable deal (honestly, I think they messed up somehow and sold it at a discount). Price went up on it now, but SLE Equipment is still cheaper than from Bradley direct.

Yeh man, ask away if you got any other questions on it! I got a couple vids with it, here's the last one of me trying out various mulching methods:

/ Stand On Mowers #30  
I have owned and operated many 'stand on' commercial mowers. Mine were all Scags. I was in the lawn care business for about 18 years and sold the mowing part of my business about 3 years ago.

I started out with 'sit on' zero turn mowers, but eventually went to all 'stand on'.

Reasons I went to stand on include;
Stand ons are shorter and fit better on a trailer.
With a stand on, it is easier to see your surroundings, especially when backing up.
On a long day, I would be less fatigued with a stand on. This was because it is easier to get on and off the mower many, many times a day.
A stand on was usually about 30% less purchase cost than an equal sized sit on.

I think a sit on would be a better choice if you will be operating in one area for long periods, or if you have leg, or knee problems.

If you have back problems, the stand on might be better, because your legs/knees can absorb the bumps better than your back.
Some of these guys are talking about cup holders lol! I'll put it like this, if your lawn is so smooth that your drink ain't sloshing all over the place (let alone you're able to drink it while mowing w/o it dumping all over you), sitdown mower is perfectly fine.