Stand On Mowers

/ Stand On Mowers
I came close to buying one a couple years ago but never did. I think they’d be nice if you weren’t doing a huge yard. I’d hate to stand on one for 2 hours. But a 30 minute yard wouldn’t be bad.
It seems like they could do quite a lot of lawn in 30 minutes.

/ Stand On Mowers #13  
10k is insane, i'd want at minimum a seat with that. I know we're hitting inflation, but that's criminal. Sort of like those idiots charging a premium for standing desks in offices, almost as bad as those who are willing to pay the price.

Man invented the chair so he could sit. Then he invented the riding mower so he didn't have to push his mower. Unless you have some ailment preventing you from sitting, I would 100% get a rider. I've never seen a standing mower in use other than commercial mowing where the business owner probably didn't care about the comfort of his mowers.

You have a home, a roof over your head. Do you sleep outside on the grass and dirt? No. You sleep inside, in your air conditioning and furnished home because the end goal of man is to make life more comfortable. You want to exercise for your health to stay in shape, sure, I get that. But if you're taking steps to actively make yourself less comfortable, you're an idiot and if natural selection had any say, you'd be removed from the gene pool.

/ Stand On Mowers #14  
10k is insane, i'd want at minimum a seat with that. I know we're hitting inflation, but that's criminal. Sort of like those idiots charging a premium for standing desks in offices, almost as bad as those who are willing to pay the price.

Man invented the chair so he could sit. Then he invented the riding mower so he didn't have to push his mower. Unless you have some ailment preventing you from sitting, I would 100% get a rider. I've never seen a standing mower in use other than commercial mowing where the business owner probably didn't care about the comfort of his mowers.

You have a home, a roof over your head. Do you sleep outside on the grass and dirt? No. You sleep inside, in your air conditioning and furnished home because the end goal of man is to make life more comfortable. You want to exercise for your health to stay in shape, sure, I get that. But if you're taking steps to actively make yourself less comfortable, you're an idiot and if natural selection had any say, you'd be removed from the gene pool.

Those mowers are designed for commercial use not homeowners. Leaving the seat off wasn’t a money saving idea. Those mowers are shorter than a comparable ride on. You can fit more on a trailer and you can get them in a tight yard easier. You can also get off faster to open a gate or move stuff around. I think they’d be easier on your body over rough ground but I have no first hand experience on them.

/ Stand On Mowers #15  
My city neighbor is 62 years old and bought a Exmark stand up mower. 60 inches. He likes it and bought it because he needs to go thru several gates on his property due to a pool. Says he can easily get off the mower (doesn’t have to stop the blades) open the gates and go.

He can mow his entire yard in 40 minutes. Claims it is not uncomfortable. Looks uncomfortable.

Me - I have a zero turn with a seat and cup holder.

MoKelly

/ Stand On Mowers #18  
Does anyone use the cup holder on their mower?

I use mine with a big cup with a lid. Especially when it’s hot and humid. I have to use a rag to get the cup very tight so it doesn’t fall out.

I can be about 1-1/2 miles from the house when mowing, and need to have a drink now and then.

I have to stop to take a drink but it’s ok. I’m not in that much of a hurry.

I’ve been dehydrated before and it’s not a good thing when operating a mower or a tractor.

I guess I could wedge a water bottle somewhere but the cup holder works just fine. Plus the cup keeps the water reasonably cool.

MoKelly

/ Stand On Mowers #19  
We have a Wright commercial Sport X 61" zero turn mower. It is like the other Wright stand-up mowers except that the Sport X has a seat which can be folded down to sit on or folded up if you want to operate the mower standing up. I almost always use this mower sitting down. We bought this mower specifically because of its stability on slopes, and the fact that if you are mowing on a slope and something goes wrong, you can simply step off the back of the mower. Like all stand-on mowers (I think), an interlock kills the engine when you don't have firm down pressure on the little platform that you stand on. So, if you are mowing sitting, you still keep your feet firmly on the platform that you would stand on if you were mowing standing up.

/ Stand On Mowers
We have a Wright commercial Sport X 61" zero turn mower. It is like the other Wright stand-up mowers except that the Sport X has a seat which can be folded down to sit on or folded up if you want to operate the mower standing up. I almost always use this mower sitting down. We bought this mower specifically because of its stability on slopes, and the fact that if you are mowing on a slope and something goes wrong, you can simply step off the back of the mower. Like all stand-on mowers (I think), an interlock kills the engine when you don't have firm down pressure on the little platform that you stand on. So, if you are mowing sitting, you still keep your feet firmly on the platform that you would stand on if you were mowing standing up.
Good info, thanks!