Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
We have an acre or two area that is all flood plain sand and gravel. The plan here is to spread an inch or two of topsoil on it along with some grass seed.
I've got a little hand push cart that spreads grass seed fairly well. Is there something similar to spread dry topsoil?
Thanks,
rScotty

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed #2  
A manure spreader would do the task.

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed
A manure spreader would do the task.

I've seen and used manure spreaders, but don't have one handy since we no longer have horses. Besides, it seems overkill for a couple of acres that I want to do. The only manure spreaders I've seen are made to carry tons, deal with a hardened pile of manure, and be pulled by a real tractor.... or a couple of horses...

Although I like your idea and think that a much smaller version of a manure spreader that is designed more lightweight for dry topsoil and grass seed would do the job. I'd call it a topsoil and seed spreader, but not being a lawn and garden person I don't know about it.

I can envision what it is I am looking for. It would look like a small trailer of a size to to be pulled by a person or a small tractor. The movement of the wheels over the ground would drive a conveyor belt or a something similar in the bed of that trailer. That conveyor would move the dirt out the back of the trailer evenly as the trailer moved forward.

It would be very useful for distributing a pre-mix composed of topsoil, fertilizer, and seeds. I'm probably describing a common everyday garden tool. But what is it called... what are the choices? And where do I rent or buy one?
thanks,
rScotty

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed #4  
We have an acre or two area that is all flood plain sand and gravel. The plan here is to spread an inch or two of topsoil on it along with some grass seed.
I've got a little hand push cart that spreads grass seed fairly well. Is there something similar to spread dry topsoil?
Thanks,
rScotty

Maybe ?

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed #5  
They have smaller versions.. probably could find one to rent as well.

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed #6  
I would say 4-6" of topsoil will yield you much better results for growing grass. With only an inch of top soil on top of sand/gravel it will not retain much moisture or nutrients.

Last edited:
   / Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed #7  
2" deep on 2 acres seems like a big job to me. I don't think that is in the realm of lightweight or hand operated equipment.

435.6 yards per acre @ 15 yards per dump truck you are looking at 29+ dump truck loads per acre to get 2" deep. 958,000 pounds of soil per acre... I must not be understanding the assignment.

dirt 1.PNG

dirt 2.PNG

dirt 3.PNG

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed #8  
For the 400+ yards to be spread, I'd skip the spreader and just use a rear blade of any kind, such as a box blade, or angle blade with adjustable rear wheel or skid plates.

/ Spreading Topsoil & Grass Seed
Hmmm.....sounds to me like I need to do some basic arithmetic and probably also reduce the size of this project
rScotty