Splitting well line

/ Splitting well line #1  

prichard

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601 FEL
My well is about 70' from where the main line enters my basement where the pressure tank and switch are. Can I connect a line at the well for irrigation? Or would this somehow affect how the pressure system functions?

/ Splitting well line #2  
My well is about 70' from where the main line enters my basement where the pressure tank and switch are. Can I connect a line at the well for irrigation? Or would this somehow affect how the pressure system functions?
As long as you connect after the pressure tank if shouldn’t make a difference. IDK if you connect before the pressure tank. I assume that as long as your flow is strong it should work.

/ Splitting well line #3  
After the pressure switch will work;before?what is going to turn the pump on?

/ Splitting well line #4  
After the pressure switch will work;before?what is going to turn the pump on?
isn't the only check valve in the foot of the well, pretty sure the pressure is going to drop at the switch if he pulls before it.

/ Splitting well line #5  
The only issue that I have had with that type of connection is that depending on the type of pressure switch you have on your system, mine has a low pressure cutout to stop the pump on low low pressure. Turning on the outside hydrant rapidly will pull water from the pressure tank and cause it to kit the low low cutoff before the pump gets pressure back into the system. So I just turn the hydrant on slowly and no issue. Part of my problem is that the house and hydrant are fed with 1 1/4" line and it's a high flow hydrant.

/ Splitting well line
isn't the only check valve in the foot of the well, pretty sure the pressure is going to drop at the switch if he pulls before it.
That was what I was hoping. I don't see a check valve plumbed in between the tank/switch and the well.

/ Splitting well line #7  
we had spigot at the well head to water our garden. The pressure is equal on entire line. I would recommend a check valve to keep and back flow out

/ Splitting well line #8  
I have a similar setup. One well feeds two homes. No issues that I can detect from having the pressure tank on the other house. As once any water is drawn through the frost proof bib or the other house, the line pressure drops and the well pump kicks on. The only check valves are in the well drop pipe itself.

well setup.jpg

/ Splitting well line #9  

There shouild be only one checkvavle at the pump, no shutoffs befoe the pressure switch.

He will be fine cutting in anywhere on the line between the pump and pressure switch as hydraulic pressure is equal through out thesystem static (no water running). Pressure will vary a little depending on lenght of run from tank to point of use due to friction and fitting reduction. Not enough to cause a problem...except in my house and I did the installation. Line runs from pump into basement and Ts off into 1/2" pipe and fittings (several) on ways out of basement to standpipes in garden. Definitely a mistake on my part.

/ Splitting well line #10  
As was said, as long as there is no check valve above ground it will work. The only check valve needed is the one down the well on the pump anyway. The most important thing is to match whatever size irrigation zones you have to the size of the pump. If the sprinklers are not using ALL the water the pump can produce, it will cause the pump to cycle on and off until dead. It is hard to match every irrigation zone to the size of the pump. Doing so also uses all the water the pump can produce, which leaves the house at really low pressure when someone uses water. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve before the tee to the irrigation can solve those problems and many more. With a CSV you can irrigate at any flow rate you want without cycling the pump to death. Then, running sprinkler zones smaller than the pump can supply leaves plenty of flow and pressure if the house needs water.