Special mower

/ Special mower #1  

oldmech

Gold Member
Tractor
Two Gravely Two L One with 10 h.p Dek-Diesel engine one Grillo 107d and one BCS 735 diesel
Hi! I am working on a side mount sickle bar mower for two-wheels. I work on the drive system (very special) No pitman. All position sickle bar 45deg down and 90 deg up. I reduce 965 rpm speed to 640 by pulleys. Run very well empty. But Yesterday for first time I connect the moving cutting bar. The mower shakes a lot. Too much! I think I must balance the moving parts (Bar with knives) with my drive system. I plan add counter weight. I send pictures soon. Oldmech

/ Special mower #2  
Can't wait to see the pictures.:thumbsup:

/ Special mower #3  
I used to have a David Bradley sickle mower. From my limited experience, sickle mowers shake under the best of circumstances. A disc mower using grass cutting blades from string trimmers would seem less problematic if you could figure out how to drive them.

/ Special mower
Hi! This is my new mower. I add a wheel at sickle bar end because too much side drag. also I fit a counter wheigt at drive pulley. Now more aceptable shake .
Drive system is a 6 in. pulley with 5/8 5 gr. bolt welded on pulley side. One bearing (6203) turn and slide with drive pulley inside a large slot makes two (3 in. strokes) by turn . This run very well now . But I dont know if the bearing could resist for a long time. I make more test now. Good luck ! Oldmech

Attachments

• fauno6.jpg
    fauno6.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 761
  • fauno3.jpg
    fauno3.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 348
  • fauno2.jpg
    fauno2.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 317
  • fauno7.jpg
    fauno7.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 350
   / Special mower #5  
That is creative to see a side mount. The Gravely, the David Bradley and other two wheel sickle mowers I've seen were all center mounted and center driven.

/ Special mower
Hi! I make some test yesterday. Run well in all position. Next step . I need a lift system May be a 12 V winch with battery. I want add a second wheel with heavy weight for balance the mower and act as a breake for less drag from the sickle bar on the ground. Thanks! Oldmech

Attachments

• fauno5.jpg
    fauno5.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 1,513
  • faun01.jpg
    faun01.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 699
   / Special mower #7  
Hey oldmech,

That's pretty wild! I have a piece of literature from mainline that shows a BCS mower offset like that, but with a much smaller bar and only one wheel! I wish I had half your ingenuity.

Bill in WI

/ Special mower #8  
How long did it take to make your side sicklebar mower?

I need something like that, for mowing beside my pond, and on the roadside by my farm. (The municipality only seems to mow the roadside once a year now-a-days, and I'd like it mown more often than that.)

/ Special mower
Hi! Grillo make a middle fingers lateral sickle bar mower (No 26598) But 32 in(80 cms) wide from a center drive unit. My sickle bar is 45 in. from center right wheel . I work a lot for make all position drive system 45 deg down and 90 deg up. This run very well. But side drag is so high ( my old sickle bar ( From scrap yard) is too heavy) I cannot drive if not end bar wheel Now i can mow with a side drag . I want correct the drag by a second wheel with heavy weight and a lift system for make the bar more light on the ground. I look for neutral drive.
The more long for make the mower was Plans . I try and test many time. I like make things I have a lot of fun. Later when this mower run fine with no side drag I will send more report and picts. Thanks and good luck! Oldmech