Spam Epidemic

/ Spam Epidemic #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
There has been a recent rash of spam offering live-streaming of various sporting events.

It seems to me that reinstalling the feature that prevents the posting of links until the member has five or more posts would be in order. The feature could be removed when this spam outbreak subsides.

Steve

/ Spam Epidemic #4  
The availability of recently hijacked millions of e-mail account credentials from the likes of Yahoo etc...opens the door for spammers to get past security measures...the same list of creds get sold over and over...addresses that get flagged on one site is used on another and another and...

many of the captured credentials are abandoned but still active accounts so the original account creator is not going to bother changing the password if one of the perps or a buyer of a list etc. has not already taken over the account...

/ Spam Epidemic #5  
There has been a recent rash of spam offering live-streaming of various sporting events.
And I'm sure they want you to give your credit card information to view the event.

I hope nobody on here falls for that!

I paid for a septic tank pump-out with my MasterCard and the driver appeared to have trouble getting the charge to go through. He phoned at least a second contact, I think more, and recited my card number.

Next day MC phoned me for authorization before accepting a charge for $2,500 of Propane in Uzbekistan. Uh no thank you. I'm not preparing for winter in the Steppes. Thanks for looking out for me.

/ Spam Epidemic #6  

It seems to me that reinstalling the feature that prevents the posting of links until the member has five or more posts would be in order. The feature could be removed when this spam outbreak subsides.

Steve
I agree

The availability of recently hijacked millions of e-mail account credentials from the likes of Yahoo etc...opens the door for spammers to get past security measures...the same list of creds get sold over and over...addresses that get flagged on one site is used on another and another and...

many of the captured credentials are abandoned but still active accounts so the original account creator is not going to bother changing the password if one of the perps or a buyer of a list etc. has not already taken over the account...
I don't think that applies in the case of what Steve is complaining about.
All the posts except 1 that I've been flagging are 1st posts and the only post in the thread at the time. I did flag 1 that jeff9366 responded to.

/ Spam Epidemic #7  
I agree

I don't think that applies in the case of what Steve is complaining about.
All the posts except 1 that I've been flagging are 1st posts and the only post in the thread at the time. I did flag 1 that jeff9366 responded to.

You have to use a valid e-mail address to register on the forum...i.e. make a post...even a bot has to use a database of legit e-mail creds...

/ Spam Epidemic #8  
It has been a while, but it looks like they are back again!

/ Spam Epidemic #9  
Report them, but please DON'T reply to them.

/ Spam Epidemic #10  
Next day MC phoned me for authorization before accepting a charge for $2,500 of Propane in Uzbekistan. Uh no thank you. I'm not preparing for winter in the Steppes. Thanks for looking out for me.

Not you....them. You're not obligated to pay a penny of a fraudulent charge. They, on the other hand, might have trouble getting $2500 out of that Uzbekistan "propane" dealer....which is why they called you.