Source for belts?

/ Source for belts? #11  
The owner's manual or parts list are downloadable from the Ventrac site. The belt ID is listed for each of the various implements. The belt I siad I ordered above is NOT fot the tough cut, but for the newer model of 72" side discharge finish mower. A few belts are listed as "custom", as is the one I just ordered as a standard size by Gates from Amazon. Go figure?? If the belt is listed by a standard size designation, it needs to meet the specs; I hope....

As was pointed out in a post above, the implement belts have adjustments too; some by sissor springs (these self adjust) and some by coil springs. The coil type on the tought cut can be adjusted by hex nut. I think the spec varies by which implement one has. On my tough cut, the original belt was damaged by a tough hard wood stick getting "in there". Installing the new belt, an actual Ventrac branded belt, I noticed the adjustment to almost be totally used up to achieve the middle of the specified range. On the new model 72" side discharge the adjustment is done by position of chain loops on a hook, but I am not sure how well that will go as the next step will be a large change.

Come to tink of it, I have replaced 3 belts so far. About 800 total hours on power unit. All three were damaged. One as described above on the tough cut. One due to similar stick bending the belt guard on the PTO to implement belt and thus ruining the belt (that guard in in my parts bin now) and another damaged by me during hook up when I failed to notice the belt was not held by the retainer Ventrac provides on implements. I think the belts are very durable. I still stock spares for all I have.

prs

/ Source for belts? #12  
I believe these are wrapped, but not blue so far as I have noticed. Some of mine are D&D, some Gates. I have a couple that are double "V" and not sure those are wrapped. But they hold up.

On my older John Deer compact belly mower, it was the idler pully that was so prone to wear-out as it was sealed bearing without access to lube. Ventrac uses some of those too, but so far so good.

prs

/ Source for belts? #13  
I use nothing but OEM belts so I don't think the little squeal is an issue since it done it from new....... same belt and 600 hrs...jim

/ Source for belts? #14  
Personally, I'm not hung up on belts being OEM. I don't think any of the tractor manufacturers make their own belts anyway.

Last time I needed Kubota belts they were high priced and not all were available in stock. I was able to cross-reference the Kubota part number to Stens and Gates and other brands. Found the belt I needed, in a good brand, at Rural King for under $5. And they had a terrific selection of sizes as long as you knew what you needed. Very pleasantly surprised.

/ Source for belts? #15  
I worked in an industry where large belts were transmitting huge amount of HP to cold draw steel. The operators wanting a "break" would often spray belt dressing on the belts which would cause the belt to slip, and it wasn't long before a failure happened. Never thought spraying anything on a belt was a good idea...
Having a spare on hand isn't a bad idea! I still have a spare set or two for my Steiner, and will probably never use them.
David from jax

/ Source for belts?
Personally, I'm not hung up on belts being OEM. I don't think any of the tractor manufacturers make their own belts anyway.
This is why I asked. I doubt that Ventrac has a belt factory, so most likely they purchase brand XX and have those belts marked with their logo.

/ Source for belts? #17  

Last time I needed Kubota belts they were high priced and not all were available in stock. I was able to cross-reference the Kubota part number to Stens and Gates and other brands. Found the belt I needed, in a good brand, at Rural King for under $5. And they had a terrific selection of sizes as long as you knew what you needed. Very pleasantly surprised.

I went that route one time on a deck belt that broke went to TSC and got the same size B belt put it on and it didn't last 9 hrs. some aren't bade to bend backwards.... I'm on my second Ventrac belt in over 500 hrs..... jim

/ Source for belts? #18  
I went that route one time on a deck belt that broke went to TSC and got the same size B belt put it on and it didn't last 9 hrs. some aren't bade to bend backwards.... I'm on my second Ventrac belt in over 500 hrs..... jim

I get it. Depends on the application I guess. Good point about deck belts that are routed in a serpentine pattern. I'd be more inclined to get a deck belt from a dealer too.

I used to go through a lot of deck belts on a Kubota B6200 mower. (Glad it's gone.) My Kubota dealer was also a friend of mine and he'd always ask if I wanted the genuine Kubota belt or the "economy" belt that he also carried. When asked, he said the only difference he could see was that the economy belt didn't say Kubota on it. I'd buy 2 economy belts for the price of one Kubota belt.

Sounds like Ventrac specifies a high quality belt designed to perform well on your mower deck. But if you can find out who makes it for them or find another belt with exactly the same specs, it might be available cheaper.

I was specifically thinking about the last few fan belts and alternator belts that I've had to replace. Should have read the original post closer -- I lost sight of the fact that we were talking about the DECK BELT.

/ Source for belts? #19  
If you know your sizes, you can purchase American made Timken belts from Motion Industries and they will usually be there the next day.

/ Source for belts? #20  
Any belt where a back side idler/tensioner is involved should be a wrapped belt. That protects the back side of the belt better from wear and helps to keep the belt together. I use the blue Kevlar belts but there are other wrappings. Most of what I have are either Jason or D&D.

V Belt Supply and Offroadbelts have wide selections.

I did find out when I put the deck away for the winter I release the tension on the belt and roll it up and take all the back bends out of it. seems to last longer that way..... jim