Something's eating my birds

/ Something's eating my birds #21  
Just too many predators around here to have any kind of tame birds. There are wild - quail, turkeys, grouse, ducks and humming birds. When we had a garden - it was almost a full time job - keeping all the local wildlife out of the garden. We also have the FULL compliment of predators here. All the way up to and including - bears, cougars and wolves.

AND who thinks some kind of chicken wire enclosure will keep a cougar/wolf away from your chickens. Ha, ha

Over a nine day period - I had a cougar kill seven of my barn cats. He just ripped them to shreds and left them laying. Local game dept official identified the cougar by the unusually large paw prints left in the dirt.

/ Something's eating my birds #22  
Just too many predators around here to have any kind of tame birds. There are wild - quail, turkeys, grouse, ducks and humming birds. When we had a garden - it was almost a full time job - keeping all the local wildlife out of the garden. We also have the FULL compliment of predators here. All the way up to and including - bears, cougars and wolves.

AND who thinks some kind of chicken wire enclosure will keep a cougar/wolf away from your chickens. Ha, ha

Over a nine day period - I had a cougar kill seven of my barn cats. He just ripped them to shreds and left them laying. Local game dept official identified the cougar by the unusually large paw prints left in the dirt.
We are missing the wolves, and usually no bears, but yes to everything else. Great fun to see. The few times that we have seen the mountain lions when we were out with our animals, it was clear from the reactions of our horses amd cows that the mountain lions were commonly seen. Their responses seemed to be along the lines of "Hey Ethyl! How is it going this afternoon?" No fuss, no bother, and we haven't ever lost any calves, despite having at least one den quite close.

Keeping animals out of the garden just got to be too much work between the ones that flew over the electric netting and the ones that dug under. We realized we were going to need to basically build a greenhouse with a perimeter foundation, and decided that as much as we adore home grown vegetables (tomatoes and cantaloupe here were amazing), on any sort of cost accounting, it wasn't worth it.

I have had birds in the past elsewhere, and I can't imagine trying to have birds here, though we do seem to have an orange feral parrot hanging around at the moment.

While we have smaller elk here, they do do a number on fences. Our perimeter fence is four or five strands of barbed wire with two hot wires to keep the horses off the fences.

The only time we have had fences broken though are when a former bull of ours (low line belted Galloway, 1200lbs+/-) would pick fights across the pasture fence with our neighbor's 2,200lb angus bulls. One day one of the bulls had heard enough, pushed through our fence, and then pushed our bull out into the county road, and kept him out. We found out when our bull walked up our front driveway complaining. I have to give him full markers for figuring out how to squeeze by our front gate on his own. It was a bit of a shell game to get the angus bull into our barn while getting our bull back to the herd. Our neighbors were really good about the whole thing, and came by a couple of days later to get their bull back with a suitable trailer. Normally, they were very good about letting us know when they planned to have bulls in the adjacent pasture, and we tried not to have our bull in our adjacent paddock at the same time. Mostly, we were really concerned about having our much smaller cows bred by their bulls, as calf size is larger determined by the bull, not the mother.

All the best,
Peter

/ Something's eating my birds #23  
I have had gamebirds(pheasant) for 30+years,have about 1/2 acre under net.
I have two strands of electric fence around the perimeter.This helps control the ground predators,hawks and owls are a real problem.
We have fox,raccoons,possum,skucks,feral cats,coyotes ect.
All you can do is minimize your losses.

/ Something's eating my birds #24  
For sure ponytug. Our garden was GREAT - the first two years. Then the "locals" found it. We kept going for another four or five years. It became obvious - we were growing things just to feed the "locals".

Man!! Nothing was sacred - nothing would keep them out of the garden. I could have stood there - 24/7 with my shotgun and the @#$% pocket gophers would have finished off all the root crops.

It was like a sick-o comedy. The pocket gophers got the root crops - the black birds and deer finished the corn - coons got the tomatoes and melons. Final straw for the wife - the chipmunks got into her strawberries and raspberries.

I can laugh about it now. It wasn't so very funny at the time.

/ Something's eating my birds
Yeah I've got a problem with the garden also. Mostly deer. We planted probably 600 feet of okra and didn't get a single pod. About a 50' square of watermelons and only ended up with about a dozen. etc, etc

/ Something's eating my birds #26  
I live on a handfull of acres in a somewhat rural area. I've got several chickens, ducks, and turkeys. I'm having a problem, within the last 2 weeks I've lost 2 little bantams, a giant orpington, and a turkey. All gone with no evidence left behind. I'm really upset about the orpington and the turkey, they were sweet birds that would always come up for treats and affection. I am almost sure it's coyotes getting them since there are no feathers or carcasses. Are there any easy solutions out there? Coyotes are too smart for me to just accidentally see them and un-alive them in the act.

She only got to come inside the one time.
View attachment 837975
A neighbor clears out coyotes with an electronic rabbit call. 18 turkeys in the front yard this morning, I wish something would thin them out. They crap everywhere.

/ Something's eating my birds #27  
Put the word out on any hunting forum you'll have tons of folks willing to harvest their bag limit. Arrows work if no guns allowed.

/ Something's eating my birds #28  
There are no silver bullets when it comes to protecting a place against varmints but dogs are a good place to start. Between dogs' sense of smell and hearing nothing in the vicinity escapes them,you just have to show them you are interested and reward them when they alert on intruders.

/ Something's eating my birds #29  
Our dogs are in the house at night
Good post. I woud very open to a used rifle.

There are no silver bullets when it comes to protecting a place against varmints but dogs are a good place to start. Between dogs' sense of smell and hearing nothing in the vicinity escapes them,you just have to show them you are interested and reward them when they alert on intruders.

/ Something's eating my birds #30  
A neighbor clears out coyotes with an electronic rabbit call. 18 turkeys in the front yard this morning, I wish something would thin them out. They crap everywhere.
Non-migrating Canadian geese are worse.