Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #11  
Any advice I can give would be based on 30 year old information as although I once was a competent competition shooter and worked at one of the busiest firearms stores on the east coast I have been pursuing other knowledge and interests for 30 years.

If I may...

Everyone shoots a used gun so one is often better off buying a used firearm.

If the young man is comfortable and accurate shooting the Ruger .44 carbine it may be wise to let him use that for another year or so until he grows into a full size rifle.

Any quality rifle will last the average shooter, if treated well, a lifetime. Attempting to buy him a lifetime rifle at his age is unwise as his tastes and likes will change several times in his lifetime.

An aside...
I bought a used Mossberg 500 12 ga when I started shooting trap in the late 1970's I used it for four seasons and the last two seasons I fired over 6500 rounds through it each season. It did not survive the start of the fifth season. So I have some knowledge on the wear and tear on firearms.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson
Good post. I woud very open to a used rifle.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #13  
An aside...
I bought a used Mossberg 500 12 ga when I started shooting trap in the late 1970's I used it for four seasons and the last two seasons I fired over 6500 rounds through it each season. It did not survive the start of the fifth season. So I have some knowledge on the wear and tear on firearms.
The difference between the 870 I saved all summer for as a kid and the 870 my son got six years ago make me sade. I think the difference is accross the board.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #14  
Do like me,buy one he likes,use it til he likes something better,buy it and keep the first one,use that til he likes something else,buy it,keep the secound one,,,,,,,,,,til you have a cabinet full and too old to shoot.:)

That is good advice.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #16  
When my wife got into hunting, I decided to buy her a rifle. She is 5ft 3in tall and she wasn't comfortable shooting a regular sized rifle. We went to all the local stores to see what they had and she felt very comfortable with a Youth sized rifle. Unfortunately, none of the brands we could find locally impressed us. Just working the bolt proved to be challenging for some of the brands we looked at. Part of the issue is that very few people spend the money on a smaller sized rifle, which meant very few where in stock. We decided to drive to Cabela's in Allen Texas, just North of Dallas, to see what they had. Their selection was impressive. After looking at 5 or 6 different rifles, she really loved the Remington in 7mm-08. I put an older Redfield scope on it that fits her, and she's been out hunting with it ever since. We paid more for the Remington then the other brands, especially buying from Cabela's, but we found what she likes, and for a few bucks more, I was happy to spend the money.

Here are a few pictures of her with her rifle and her hunts. The 7mm-08 has proven to be a very effective caliber for the deer and hogs on our land.

1375891_10202416266070662_580442719_n.jpg

010.JPG

IMG_7634.JPG

23380061_10214911600566215_4909603623951942115_n.jpg

IMG_6551.JPG

254788672_4802213253135611_3294513452746824524_n.jpg

Thanks for that info. I once talked with a Truck driver from down south who hunted hogs with a bow and arrow. I asked him what he did if one came after him. He said "I climb a tree". I said "what if there isn't a tree that is easy to climb nearby?" He said"If a hog's chasing me, I haven't found a Tree I couldn't climb yet!"

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #18  
I believe that a lot of people over dramatize what hogs are. I've never heard of a hog attacking anybody that wasn't provoked. And you really have to provoke them to attack. I do know that if shot at, or startled, they will run in whatever direction they are facing, and if it's your way, that might be scary. But that's not the same as attacking. It's running away from danger, and you are no different then bush to it. I have zero fear of hogs out in the woods. In the last two years I've had a guy shooting them for me at night. He's shot over 200 so far. I have more deer then ever now that so many hogs are gone.

Having said that, a buddy of mine shot a hog with an arrow. He waited a bit, then tracked the blood trail. That hog attacked him. She knocked him down and was on top of him. He had his had in her mouth to keep her off of him, while he stabbed her over and over with a bow. He almost lost his thumb and several fingers, but fortunately, he only lost some feeling in them by the time he was healed up.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #19  
I am in the camp that says take him to the store and look and hold all the different choices and see what he wants. One may just feel better to him or fit better.
The other option is by the "lifetime gun" and just get a second stock off E-Bay, Gunbroker, etc and cut it down keeping the original one for later on.

You make good points. I have been looking into a forever gun and buying a youth stock, but availability and cost numbers haven't worked out. I haven't ruled it out.

My son is going to take him to Scheels to handle a few youth rifles and see what he thinks.

I like that the youth rifles are not just a long rifle with a shorter length of pull, but also with a shorter barrel, and proportionally the right size for a young lad. That's why I have been warrming up to the Ruger American Compact. It has an 18" barrel,and a smoother action than the Savages. I am confident that they will all shoot well.

The research and shopping are part of the fun.