Some basic torch advice

/ Some basic torch advice #11  
Heck…even mig gas and cylinders are hard to find right now.

/ Some basic torch advice #12  
Heck…even mig gas and cylinders are hard to find right now.
Were inert gases and oxygen not used for other things besides cutting & welding,hobbiests wouldn't be able to buy them. As it stand's acetylene get's more expensive with each passing day.

/ Some basic torch advice #13  
Turn oxy up to 40 for speed. View attachment 728922
Sberry,in case you didn't already know,it really chaff's my hinny that I can't do that but you can. :cautious:
The plasma took a dump but it reminds me I dont do it much anymore. I cut some the other day kept me holding my breath.

/ Some basic torch advice
Thanks for all the advice so far. I got the set together this afternoon when I had a few minutes and the garage was reasonably warm.

I found the gauges largely inoperative. I replaced the oxygen set as I'd been given a new set. The ox gauge tells me I've got about 1400 pounds of pressure in the tank...should mean it's reasonably full, right?
The acetylene bottoms out at 100 pounds but pops up to about 400 when I turn the tank on. I'm guessing that's pretty decent for that tank???

I bought all the stuff used. I'm hoping I did OK on the tanks, as long as they're reasonably full.

Once again, any and all information appreciated.

/ Some basic torch advice #15  
My only caution besides not setting yourself on fire IS, ALWAYS TURN THE GAS OFF BEFORE THE OXYGEN.

/ Some basic torch advice #16  
Another caution is to never get oil or petroleum products on the oxygen gauge or hose fittings. It will cause a violent reaction.

/ Some basic torch advice #17  
as mentioned, don't transport or lie tanks horizontally, & if you have to, allow 12hrs or more for the acetone to settle in the acetylene tank. otherwise, apparently can do damage to reg. assume you have anti flashback valves on both lines as well regards

/ Some basic torch advice #19  
One thing I don't do is exchange bottles. I own all of mine including the shielding gas bottles. and I have them filled and returned to me. Airgas has a compressor station south of me so I have a pretty convenient place to get them filled. When transporting them, I lay all of them down flat in the bed of the truck but I stand them up and let them sit for a day or 2 before using them, especially the acetylene because it's dissolved inside the bottle in a substrate. My bottles all have my company name on them as well.

/ Some basic torch advice #20  
Burning some rods.
rebar cut.JPG