Solenoid

/ Solenoid #11  
Some of the solenoids have a copper disc and contacts, built into the solenoid. You can disassemble them and clean up the contacts and the disc, and repair them. Good luck.
To clarify - all starter solenoids "have a copper disc and contacts" - this part is called a relay. Some of the older relays can be disassembled, flip the copper washer and clean the contacts. They are actually two separate devices combined, similar to the fuel injection pump and governor.

/ Solenoid
That was embarrassing to watch. I don't understand how installing an external relay to a starter with bad solenoid windings is going to engage the Bendix drive. However, it will work on a starter that uses centrifugal engagement such as a Ford or small engine. Solenoids have a built in relay, relays do not have a solenoid.

To clarify - all starter solenoids "have a copper disc and contacts" - this part is called a relay. Some of the older relays can be disassembled, flip the copper washer and clean the contacts. They are actually two separate devices combined, similar to the fuel injection pump and governor.
Understood. But i should be able to take the solenoid off of the starter and hook a postive up to the starter pole where the solenoid connects and a ground ro the starter case and verify the starter is actually throwing the gear, correct? While i have the solenoid off I will make sure the parts are clean as well.

/ Solenoid #13  
Understood. But i should be able to take the solenoid off of the starter and hook a positive up to the starter pole where the solenoid connects and a ground ro the starter case and verify the starter is actually throwing the gear, correct? While i have the solenoid off I will make sure the parts are clean as well.
First you have to verify that the starter itself is actually functioning. This should be performed on the bench - be sure the starter is securely grounded and then tap a positive battery cable to the starter side of the relay. The starter should spin without engaging the solenoid. To test only the relay and solenoid - be sure the starter is securely grounded and then tap a positive battery cable to the small terminal on the relay. The solenoid should engage without the starter spinning, if it doesn't and you still get "clicking" then the solenoid windings are open.

/ Solenoid
Took starter off tractor, hooked postive up to the postive pole on the starter, and grounded to the starter case. Got nothing from the starter. So starter is bad, correct? Battery is brand new, so i know its good

/ Solenoid #15  
If you're going to bench test a starter make sure you have a good grip on it or in a vice.

/ Solenoid
Took starter off tractor, hooked postive up to the postive pole one the starter, and grounded to the starter case. Got nothing from the starter. So starter is bad, correct. Next question, where can i get a new starter? Does mirhanda sell the parts?

/ Solenoid #17  
Took starter off tractor, hooked postive up to the postive pole on the starter, and grounded to the starter case. Got nothing from the starter. So starter is bad, correct? Battery is brand new, so i know its good
See my post #13.

/ Solenoid #18  
Take to a starter/alternator repair shop if you have one.

/ Solenoid #19  
Voltage drop tests are much better than continuity checks. You can have continuity but not the ability to carry current.

/ Solenoid #20  
Next question, where can i get a new starter? Does mirhanda sell the parts?
As I said before, we need to identify what engine and starter you have. A legible photo of the engine and starter nameplates would be a great help. The tractor manufacturer in this instance does not make the engine or starter.