Solenoid

/ Solenoid #1  

andy1dr

Tractor
JIANGXI 184-4
Have a 1991 Jiangxi 184-4 tractor. Battery was dead. When trying to jump it from another vehicle the wires were crossed. (i.e. pos to neg and then neg to pos, it's a long story, don't ask). Anyhow, Pretty sure the battery was smoked. Bought a new battery hooked it up and now just getting a a click from the starter/solenoid. It is a 2 cylinder diesel engine. Had no issues before battery died.
Assuming next step is to bench test starter. In the event it is the solenoid, anyone know where I can purchase a solenoid for the starter? Thanks in advance.

I'm a real do it to my selfer.

Last edited:
   / Solenoid #2  
Have a 1991 Jiangxi 184-4 tractor. Battery was dead. When trying to jump it from another vehicle the wires were crossed. (i.e. pos to neg and then neg to pos, it's a long story, don't ask). Anyhow, Pretty sure the battery was smoked. Bought a new battery hooked it up and now just getting a a click from the starter/solenoid. It is a 2 cylinder diesel engine. Had no issues before battery died.
Assuming next step is to bench test starter. In the event it is the solenoid, anyone know where I can purchase a solenoid for the starter? Thanks in advance.

I'm a real do it to my selfer.
Here is what's needed:
1) Engine make and model number (legible picture of nameplate).
2) Legible picture of starter AND nameplate.

"The Jiangxi 184 tractor was built in China by Jiangling.
Jiangling Tractor Company, now called Mahindra China Tractor Company, Ltd, was formerly a division of Jiangling Motor Company, is a Chinese company that produced the Lenar tractors for export to the U.S. and Europe. The parent company has been an automotive manufacturer for over thirty years and counts Ford Motor Company and Isuzu Motors as stockholders.

Jiangling was formed from the assets of the Jiangxi Tractor Plant in Nanchang, Jiangxi, China which produced the Fengshou tractors.

In 2004, 80% of the tractor company was purchased by Mahindra & Mahindra to join with their Mahindra Tractors division. The company was renamed Mahindra China Tractor Company, Ltd."

Last edited:
   / Solenoid
I was thinking about trying this. It has worked for starters/solenoids on riding mowers in the past.

/ Solenoid #5  
Did you attempt to engage the starter while the wires were crossed?

If not, there should be no damage caused to the solenoid or the starter from the crossed wires but the battery, cables, alternator and possibly a fuse or two might have suffered.

Since you are getting a clicking at the solenoid, it would seem most of the other circuitry is OK and this should be no different than any other "clicking starter" troubleshoot.

As always, double check the battery cable connections on both ends of each cable. Because of the polarity reversal, I would also run a resistance check on each cable to make sure there is no internal damage.

An easy way to check is to use jumper cables and go from the positive battery terminal to the positive terminal (where the battery cable connects) on the solenoid and run the other jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to a cleaned off mounting bolt on the starter. This will be a by-pass to the existing cables/connections.

Do your other electrical circuits work as they should?

/ Solenoid
Did you attempt to engage the starter while the wires were crossed?

If not, there should be no damage caused to the solenoid or the starter from the crossed wires but the battery, cables, alternator and possibly a fuse or two might have suffered.

Since you are getting a clicking at the solenoid, it would seem most of the other circuitry is OK and this should be no different than any other "clicking starter" troubleshoot.

As always, double check the battery cable connections on both ends of each cable. Because of the polarity reversal, I would also run a resistance check on each cable to make sure there is no internal damage.

An easy way to check is to use jumper cables and go from the positive battery terminal to the positive terminal (where the battery cable connects) on the solenoid and run the other jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to a cleaned off mounting bolt on the starter. This will be a by-pass to the existing cables/connections.

Do your other electrical circuits work as they should?
No, It was pretty obvious that something was amiss when the last connection to the battery started throwing a mass amount of sparks when trying to connect it. And the alternator was not working to begin with. After swapping the battery, that was the next item to be troubleshot and replaced. the negative cable for the battery was burned half through (it is red, which is why the polarity was crossed, looks like they used a positive battery cable at some point). I cut off the bad part, stripped it back and put it to the battery connector (it is one of those replacement connectors with two bolts that clamp down the wire to the connector).

I appreciate everyone's feed back.

/ Solenoid
ground is good. When i turn the key, the solenoid does kick in. But is not throwing the starter. Continuity is good on both the ground from the battery to where it is connected to the frame, and on the hit line from the battery to where it comnects to solenoid. At this point i think i am resigned to taking the starter off and performing a bench test on it.

/ Solenoid #9  
I was thinking about trying this. It has worked for starters/solenoids on riding mowers in the past.

That was embarrassing to watch. I don't understand how installing an external relay to a starter with bad solenoid windings is going to engage the Bendix drive. However, it will work on a starter that uses centrifugal engagement such as a Ford or small engine. Solenoids have a built in relay, relays do not have a solenoid.

/ Solenoid #10  
Some of the solenoids have a copper disc and contacts, built into the solenoid. You can disassemble them and clean up the contacts and the disc, and repair them. Good luck.