Solar trickle charging

/ Solar trickle charging #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
It is a long extension cord reach to my tractor parking spot, so isn't convenient to keep a battery maintainer hooked up through the winter. I was wondering about putting a 12V solar cell array in the tractor window to trickle-charge the battery. Would this likely do any good (assuming the sun hits the cell for several hours per day)? Would there be much risk of overcharging the battery with a small solar array (2 to 3 W) directly connected to the battery?
Thanks,
Bob

/ Solar trickle charging #2  
   / Solar trickle charging #3  
It is a long extension cord reach to my tractor parking spot, so isn't convenient to keep a battery maintainer hooked up through the winter. I was wondering about putting a 12V solar cell array in the tractor window to trickle-charge the battery. Would this likely do any good (assuming the sun hits the cell for several hours per day)? Would there be much risk of overcharging the battery with a small solar array (2 to 3 W) directly connected to the battery?
Thanks,
Bob

They seem to be fine Bob. I don't have one on my tractor as I use it often enough to not seem to need it, but I have one on my lawn mower, and it keeps the battery up all winter. Doesnt seem to boil the battery. I use one of the 1 watt solar chargers made just for this purpose. Like this one. It just maintains the battery from discharging from disuse. It would take forever to charge up a discharged battery.

Amazon.com: Sunforce 50013 1-Watt Motorcycle and Powersports Solar Battery Charger: Automotive

/ Solar trickle charging #4  
HF even sells a 9$ one.... I have used them for years on seldom used equipment.

fights parasitic drain... though I wouldn't charge a deader...

/ Solar trickle charging #5  
HF even sells a 9$ one.... I have used them for years on seldom used equipment.

fights parasitic drain... though I wouldn't charge a deader...

Come to think of it, I think mine was from "the freight" too.!

/ Solar trickle charging #6  
hard to find cheaper these days. and as hard as it sounds.. their quality is on par with other american retailers that charge more... for similar import items..

/ Solar trickle charging
Thanks, all. I have a unit a lot like the one K0ua linked to. I found its output wasn't enough to keep up with an electric fence energizer, but it might work to keep my tractor battery going in the winter when it sits for a week or two (in the cold!) between snowstorms.
I'm thinking of installing a cigarette lighter outlet connected directly to the battery (ie, not through the ignition switch), so I can easily plug the solar charger up inside the cab...I think I saw a post by another TBNer a few months back who had done something similar.
My original battery lasted 7 yrs, but just won't hold a charge through this winter's cold; I want to take good care of the replacement.

Bob

/ Solar trickle charging #8  
Thanks, all. I have a unit a lot like the one K0ua linked to. I found its output wasn't enough to keep up with an electric fence energizer, but it might work to keep my tractor battery going in the winter when it sits for a week or two (in the cold!) between snowstorms.
I'm thinking of installing a cigarette lighter outlet connected directly to the battery (ie, not through the ignition switch), so I can easily plug the solar charger up inside the cab...I think I saw a post by another TBNer a few months back who had done something similar.
My original battery lasted 7 yrs, but just won't hold a charge through this winter's cold; I want to take good care of the replacement.

Bob

yep, the one I linked to is just a Maintainer, and does not have any charge controller in it. If you need to keep up with some usage you will need a much larger panel and a charge controller to keep the voltage where you need it.

James K0UA

/ Solar trickle charging #9  
I've a 5 watt "Mule Gate" solar panel that I bought long ago @ TSC and wired through a battery tender that I bought on line that I use to keep the battery up on my electric fence.

Been thinking about replacing the powered battery tender on my generator with a solar one. TSC has them all in one, panel plus tender. Actually, you can get away with connecting the panel directly to the battery. I did this for about 10 years when I had the electric fence on the garden down by the creek. The little utility batteries last 2+ years then instead of just 1 year, letting them run down and recharging.

Ralph

/ Solar trickle charging #10  
for those not wanting to install a cig lighter adapter.. you can get a clip on style from radio shack.

it's a power socket like a gig lighter, with 2 hd gator clips and 6" of line.

clip right to battery and plug in accy's there.

I have them on a few machines for air pumps or similar..