solar post light recommendations please

/ solar post light recommendations please #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I'd like to get a couple of solar post lights (like these) and set them out in planters made by filling feed tubs with dirt etc.
But it seems prices and quality are all over the spectrum.
Anyone here have any? And can you recommend some?

Last edited:
   / solar post light recommendations please #2  
Check out Outdoor Solar Store
a little pricy but good quality
I have two, very satisfied

/ solar post light recommendations please #3  
What are you trying to accomplish? If for decoration or a late evening nite light, they'd probably work ok. If you are after a yard light to light up an area - not so much. All the solar lights i've seen even with glowing reviews don't put out much more than nite light levels and don't last through the night.

I don't have these particular lights, but I would not expect them to put out as much light as the picture shows. Even at the high setting, 200 lumens isn't very much and you'll only get that with new and fully charged batteries.

/ solar post light recommendations please
What are you trying to accomplish? If for decoration or a late evening nite light, they'd probably work ok. If you are after a yard light to light up an area - not so much. All the solar lights i've seen even with glowing reviews don't put out much more than nite light levels and don't last through the night.

I don't have these particular lights, but I would not expect them to put out as much light as the picture shows. Even at the high setting, 200 lumens isn't very much and you'll only get that with new and fully charged batteries.
I'm trying to:
Put lights/planters on the ends of my ~100' driveway, like markers in a fog. Nite light luminance (50lm) would be fine.
Put a couple of movable lights/planters on the ends of my concrete porch.

I've got several of the large "protein tubs" that I've used filled with soil and used as a base for 9' diameter patio umbrellas. Set on HF 1000 lb. Capacity Hardwood Dollies they move easy.
Amazon (link) has similar but I don't trust Amazon or Home Depot reviews.

/ solar post light recommendations please #5  
I have a couple of solar lights by the walk in door by my shop. They put out a decent amount of light. In the dead of winter on a cloudy day, they last an hour tops. During the summer on bright days, they go all night. Just based on price of the ones you are looking at they would perform about like what I describe above. Seems obvious but they need to be out in the open to work the best.

/ solar post light recommendations please #6  
I use these :

I take them apart and seal everything up with silicon and if you want them to last all night, put them on low. I have a few that are almost 4 years in the outdoors as tree uplights and one which is on it's last legs on low for the house marker.
I put them every 20-30 feet up the driveway.
I even took one apart and use it to light the address sign on our mailbox, on low.

On high, they last a few hours in the winter and a bit more in the summer.

YMMV - and these things change all the time, last set I bought in October and seemed about the same quality.

/ solar post light recommendations please #7  
I do not know of a high quality solution for you. All our solar lights only last two years. And they are not repairable.

/ solar post light recommendations please #8  
Wife buys them at HF when on sale and the HF ones have replaceable batteries too. All Chinese and no choice.

/ solar post light recommendations please
I use these :

I take them apart and seal everything up with silicon and if you want them to last all night, put them on low. I have a few that are almost 4 years in the outdoors as tree uplights and one which is on it's last legs on low for the house marker.
I put them every 20-30 feet up the driveway.
I even took one apart and use it to light the address sign on our mailbox, on low.

On high, they last a few hours in the winter and a bit more in the summer.

YMMV - and these things change all the time, last set I bought in October and seemed about the same quality.
Thanks, can you provide any more details on "take them apart"? Easy or breaking plastic?

/ solar post light recommendations please #10  
Unscrew the cover over the LEDs and make a bead with silicone and then fill in any open spaces.
Not too hard