So I did a thing... Agria 8900D

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D
Got the front gearbox all ready to go and ready for paint. Along with a lot of other time consuming work on various bits and pieces.

Surprisingly, this front gearbox was in very good shape. Almost looked like it was replaced at one point as the wear didn't match at all what I saw in the rear gearbox. The detent pockets and plunger for the shift fork had very little wear, while the ones on the rear gearbox were completely trashed.

Changed all the seals and two bearings from the diff on this front gearbox. On of the gear had a little bit of side wear caused by grinding gears. I cleaned the teeth with a diamond file, hopefully makes for a smoother shifting.

About the worst parts here are the brake shoes. The liners are coming out. These brakes on the front gearbox only serve as parking brakes. I'll get them relined and move these shoes to the rear gearbox and vice versa. This way the service brakes are the ones in best shape.

Also make a new lever and linkage for the Reverse, High and Low shifter. Previously, it was just a simple rod flopping around the dash. This was a very early production tractor. They changed the design of that on later models.

There are some parts painted as it won't have access for final painting. And yes, the green is not even close to what it once was.

IMG_20240208_181339.jpg
IMG_20240208_181343.jpg

IMG_20240210_110724.jpg
IMG_20240210_110746.jpg

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #92  
There are some parts painted as it won't have access for final painting. And yes, the green is not even close to what it once was.
My motto is to paint it the color you want. Who cares if it matches some original color? I used to really like the color orange. When I rebuilt a 1965 VW Bug the sheet metal that surrounds the engine was originally black. Since new paint was in order so I used Chevrolet Orange. I got lots of flack from both Chevy owners and VW owners. I didn't care, I thought it looked good. Please keep up the great posts.
Eric

I completely agree Eric. I just wanted a bit more closer shade of green but the paint guy wasn't having it I guess. It's alright regardless.

My dad has been tackling the painting part. He's done nearly all the orange parts and most of the black ones.

He finished all the rims yesterday and we put all 4 wheels side by side and noticed the rear wheels are about 1.5" to 2" taller than the front ones. Quite a difference. Here is the kicker, all four tires list 7.5-16 size.

The front wheels are Pirelli tires and the rear ones are Mabor General, a Portuguese manufacturer part of the Continental group. The later ones are the taller ones even though these are the ones with the most wear.

With isodiametric tractors, you want all 4 tires to be the same exact height, so this difference can create some binding and extra wear on the drivetrain and tires. A lot of these style tractors have permanent 4WD. Luckily this one has the ability to engage/disengage the front axle.

As long as I'm not in 4WD on hard surfaces, it should be ok. Otherwise I would be in for quite an expense on 4 new tires. It would easily cost more than I paid for the tractor.

Anyway, I think I'm about 70% done with the project. Wiring will probably take some time as well, specially with the ECM and the injectors, sensors and what not. 🤣

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #94  
isodiametric--I had to look that up.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #96  
isodiametric--I had to look that up.
Yeah, I had never seen that word before either. I knew what it meant though as soon as I read it. I will be adding it to my vocabulary, it's a neat word.
Eric

Some more green stuff, a new seat and 20 liters of 80W90.

IMG_20240215_175831.jpg
IMG_20240215_175835.jpg

IMG_20240215_173641.jpg
IMG_20240215_153734.jpg

Oh and go the brake shoes relined. Only 15€, should've done all 8 instead of just 4.

IMG_20240215_112431.jpg
IMG_20240215_112434.jpg

It's getting closer on this big project. Maybe in the weekend I'll attach both gearboxes together but first, the cylinder seal on my pallet jack just went bad. I need to fix that as it turns out it's the perfect tool to assemble these gearboxes to each other.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #99  
This is the sequel and anticipation of what's to come - piece by piece - great work!

This is the sequel and anticipation of what's to come - piece by piece - great work!
Thank you!

Piece by piece indeed. So far the only part that didn't come completely apart was the differentials because I didn't see a need for it. Everything else had to come apart for one reason or another.