So I did a thing... Agria 8900D

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D
Got the engine running again today. This time I put it on a cart and basically let it sink on dirt so the engine would move it around.

So here is a little video of it idling.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #82  
Time to get the spray paint out!

Still have half the tractor to clean, fix and prep for paint. So that's still a ways off.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #84  
Very interesting thread. Excellent work. I wish I had half of your machining talents.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #85  
You do amazing work rebuilding old iron like this and its great to see your progress every day. Cant wait to see the final product, and that engine - has no smoke and for a one lunger diesel, sounds great.

Thank you!

The engine runs really good and clean. The shut off lever mounts on a plate that slides left/right to adjust fuel delivery. When I got, it was adjusted to the max, so I can only imagine the smoke fest this thing would throw.

I set it in the middle and the procedure to adjust it by the book, is to adjust it till you get a slight to moderate smoke in acceleration. I might fine tune it later on when I have it back on the tractor.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #87  

I'll say right away, mine won't look nowhere near as nice as that one in the video.

Disassembled and inspected the hydraulic pump. It's in very good shape. I really dig the design of it though. Also, they did a cool setup for adding a bearing on the pump so it can take the side load of a belt.

They pressed an hardened bushing on the nose of the pump. Then on the pulley, they bored for a needle bearing. Cool setup but tricky from a machining stand point.

IMG_20240128_172814.jpg
IMG_20240128_172832.jpg
IMG_20240129_144815.jpg
IMG_20240129_145006.jpg

Finally finished the center section of the tractor. This one put up quite a fight and ate way too much time but sure was rewarding in the end everything just fell in place with little to no play at all. Just as planned.

This center section started with the other piece where the king pins go that I shared some posts back. Then there is two more parts, that work together to achieve the tilt. These two work with two nylon bushings. Luckily those were still in decent shape and were salvageable. Seems like it has run a lot of time without those bushings, which caused lots of wear on the parts and then they finally threw in the bushings.

Anyway, I did fail to take pictures of how those parts looked before. So I only have the pictures during the repair and after the repair.

Here is one of the parts being test fitted in the lathe. I used an old brake rotor as a backing plate so I could use my live center for extra support.

IMG_20240125_122043.jpg

Here is the same part with but with about €100 worth of 309L rods thrown at it. This was a long ordeal. Ideally I would have used nickel rods but that would probably cost me over €250 just in rods.

There was also a chunk missing that I had to fill. Can barely see it on the picture.

IMG_20240126_170339.jpg

All that welding, distorted the tube a lot, so I had to cut down a considerably amount, which would end up with about 1mm of play on the bushings. So I added two metal strips where the bushing rides and spot welded it. Then machined back to the proper size. Ended up getting a very nice and smooth fit.

IMG_20240131_121650.jpg

Finally, the other part was next. This is the part that holds the bushings and slides over this tube above. It also holds the steering box. All this part needed was to build up with of the faces with weld and then machine back flat. And also add two pins that act as anti-rotation feature for the bushings.

Before - After welding - After machining.

IMG_20240108_121814.jpg
IMG_20240201_111557.jpg
IMG_20240201_124347.jpg

And finally, all the parts put together. Oh and turns out that when everything fits right without any extra play, the steering stops actually act as stops. Who would've guessed that? :)

IMG_20240201_155310.jpg
IMG_20240201_155318.jpg

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #90  
Very nice work as always!