Snowplow hydraulics.2

/ Snowplow hydraulics.2 #1  

tree grower

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1210, Bobcat 742B, John Deere 1050
On my FEL there is a simple Prince DA valve fed from the power beyond function of the loader valve. Can I plug one of the A or B work ports, and have it function as a single-acting valve? In shopping for such a valve I saw one described as SA, but the picture certainly looked like a DA with one port plugged.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 88
   / Snowplow hydraulics.2 #2  
Can I plug one of the A or B work ports, and have it function as a single-acting valve?
Nope. it'll deadhead the pump/pressure relief when you operate to the plugged port. Take the unused port and plumb it back to tank, make sure it exits below the oil level so it doesn't aerate the oil

In shopping for such a valve I saw one described as SA, but the picture certainly looked like a DA with one port plugged.
Probably the same casting, different spool

Not that you asked :). Water plumbing fittings are not a good choice for hyd pressure. Galvanized is bad also as it's been known to flake off

/ Snowplow hydraulics.2 #3  
On my FEL there is a simple Prince DA valve fed from the power beyond function of the loader valve. Can I plug one of the A or B work ports, and have it function as a single-acting valve? In shopping for such a valve I saw one described as SA, but the picture certainly looked like a DA with one port plugged.

The SA valve probably has a special plug so that the plugged port is always connected internally to the Out port which returns to tank in an open center system. And the active port is pressure in one lever position and Out (tank) in the other position with center being off.

However, using a DA valve on a SA cylinder can be OK. I do that on my sickle bar mower. It has a SA cylinder to raise the cutter bar and it lowers by gravity like your plow lift. I connect the single cylinder hose to one line on a rear remote. The other line is blocked by the unused coupler. And yes, when I lower the cutter the system relief valve opens while it is lowering - say 5 seconds max. The pump is not dead headed. If the relief valve opens for short durations at a low duty cycle it does not hurt a thing. It is just doing it's job. If the relief valve is opened so long as to make the hydraulic oil very hot then that is a problem.

gg

/ Snowplow hydraulics.2 #4  
I responded in your other thread but in case you don't see that.... You don't need to mess with the valve. Just swap out the cylinder on your plow for a double acting one.