Snow Equipment Owning/Operating snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #31  
Re: snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4\'s

Last I new Norse was made by Norse and they are red where the Valby's are green. My dealer got me Valby's because thats what I wanted but he was ordering Norse out of Canada.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #32  

Pete,
Thanks for the Valby information. I had already been to the Valby site but did not find any Norse options. The Valby site answered all the questions I had about ice chains.
"Happy New Year"
David

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #33  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sounds like your problem is with the type of chains you use, not the lugs on the aggies. If you had chains with continuous contact with the ground, not those wimpy ladder-style chains, you'd see a world of difference. The taller profile of the aggies, coupled with my aggressive Norse ice chains, handles anything nature throws my way.)</font>

Yeah, I only wish I could find those style chains to fit my tires. No Norse Ice chains or Duo-grips available for my R4 tires. Even guys who make them up say they just don't work out on my tires.

I ended up going with Ladder-style with the "V-bar" cleats welded on. Has been working out well for me so far... I can get up and down my driveway hill when it's a sheet of ice, and drove around in some nice, thick, wet Champlain Valley - Vermont clay a week or so ago with decent results. (I finally had to give up on driving in it when I started sinking in too deep and had to use my loader to back me out of a couple of sticky situations.)

John Mc

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #34  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When ya got 3 or 4 trees behind you, you want to keep going. These trees are about 14-16" dia. )</font>

Nice twitch. With my little L275 I'd be bringing them out 1 tree at a time... after cutting them into 2 or 3 sections.

The Valby chains are similar (though much more agressive) to what I bought for my pickup. I'd like to have a set for the 'Bota but I'm too cheap to pay for them; so I'll keep running the old ladder truck chains.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #35  

Don't much matter how mant you get out in one hitch, just as long as you don't have to use a wheelbarrow.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #36  

John Mc -- I've seen ice spikes mounted on R4s at Riverside Tractor in Montpelier. Not sure of the brand, but they're available.

Pete

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #37  

John Mc, Try to find a company called Northeast Implement. They may have Norse or Valby chains or can get them. I know they have a web site.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #38  

<font color="blue"> That's interesting as when the dealer brought the new tractor we had the two side by side and measured the height and it was almost exactly the same. </font>

I should have said on my JD 4400,because the R-1 tires take a different rim than my R-4 tires on my JD 4400, evidently it is different on your tractor. Speaking about my JD 4400 their is a noticable difference in height between the R-1 and R-4 tires.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #39  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( just as long as you don't have to use a wheelbarrow )</font>

I think I remember those; some medievel torture device weren't they? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #40  

Around here, we call 'em West Virginia dump trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif