Snow Equipment Owning/Operating snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #21  
Re: snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4\'s

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I can not totally agree with you on the tire chain issue. There are chains designed so the will not drop between the lugs. )</font>

Yeah, what he said. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #22  

Right you are. The chains on the aggies were just the ladder type, but still cost a fair piece. I didn't know about the other types back then, and the local tire shop was making these up on the spot to help people deal with an ice storm that had come along. I tried to bind them together to keep them out of the lugs, but the heavy wire I used just wasn't up to the job. This was on an 8N, not the Kubota.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #23  

These are Valby ice chains on ag tires. $650 a pair

Attachments

• 797579-Chains.JPG
    797579-Chains.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 235
   / snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #24  

Ouch! That's a lot of money for chains. I hardly need them more than once or twice a winter, if that. Those look very serious, but I can't justify the cost. If the snow gets to be too much for my equipment, I can have a guy hit it with his truck mounted plow for $25.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #25  

Lot of money yes, but I haul my fire wood out a whole tree at a time. When ya got 3 or 4 trees behind you, you want to keep going. These trees are about 14-16" dia.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #26  

I tend to cut firewood when the ground is solid, so don't need chains. My little 16hp Kubota can drag a surprizingly big log, but I usually cut to length in the woods and carry the stuff in the bucket to where I split it unless I'm cleaning up the pasture or something.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #27  

Here's a pic of my Norse ice spikes. They get me thru anything nature tosses my way. Note the continuous contact surface that prevents traction being lost between the lugs.

Pete

Attachments

• 797867-NorseChains.jpg
    797867-NorseChains.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 268
   / snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #28  

They look pretty much the same as the Valby's. There was 2 power company line trucks in my driveway today. One got stuck so I pulled it back onto the driveway. With out the ice chains I could not have done it.

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #29  

Pete.
I went searching on the Internet for a Norse Ice Chain supplier and did not have any luck. Any suggestions as to where I might find a dealer?
Thanks in advance.
David

/ snow, rain, freezing rain, with R- 4's #30  

Norse is the style, but they're made by Valby. Sorry for the confusion. My new tractor has the same style, but much lighter in weight. Still supposed to be rugged as heck, but much easier to mount than those 300 pound monsters!

Pete