Snow blade vs FEL

/ Snow blade vs FEL #1  

whistlepig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 with FEL
I have been considering purchasing a snow blade for my B7800. These blades aren't cheap. I was wondering if others have spent the money for a blade and was it worth the cost over just staying with the FEL. From what I have read the FEL and blade set up are not a quick change deal.

/ Snow blade vs FEL #2  
Personally I use my FEL if their isn't too much snow but if their is alot of snow I get out my snow blower

/ Snow blade vs FEL #3  
I bought a rear blade for the tractor for pushing / pulling snow . You do have to get off to change the angle but it is a small inconvenience for the price . Was able to try it out this weekend with 6 inches of snow it worked well enough to expose most of the black top and the sun did the rest .

Attachments

• tractor blade.jpg
    tractor blade.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 475
   / Snow blade vs FEL #4  
Well, I just did this year and went with the sub-frame and hydraulic angle blade. It uses the FEL controller for the lift and angle of the blade. Works fine, but takes a bit of time to get use to. One thing that worries me is the problem with getting stuck and not having the FEL to help push me out.

As for switching over from one to the other it is rather easy to hook up or take off the plow and can be done in a few minutes. The FEL is a different story and although I have only done it once it took me several minutes to get it off and then back on. This was in nice weather, not too sure how it will be when the temperatures on cold.

I am now faced with going to the dealer to complain about the paint job on the blade. The entire face seems to be pilling off and this is after using it for about an hour plowing snow.

Having a rear snowblower and now a plow blade it certainly improved the time for plowing our road and I am not sure if I will need the FEL or not. I know in years past I would use it from time to time, but really did not need it. Only time it helped me was when I got into a situation and need it to push me backwards.

Just my two cents.

/ Snow blade vs FEL #5  
pig, are you talking about the factory offered plow set up, or something to go on your loader after removing the bucket, or something else? :confused:

/ Snow blade vs FEL #6  
I have been considering purchasing a snow blade for my B7800. These blades aren't cheap. I was wondering if others have spent the money for a blade and was it worth the cost over just staying with the FEL. From what I have read the FEL and blade set up are not a quick change deal.

Why not get a blade for your FEL? Then it can be a quick change deal and you can pile snow very well with them.

/ Snow blade vs FEL
pig, are you talking about the factory offered plow set up, or something to go on your loader after removing the bucket, or something else? :confused:

I have looked at the blades mounted on the front of the loader and haven't read anything bad about them. It just seems to me that there is so much length added to the front of the tractor that it would leverage the front to the point that it would make the tractor very difficult to steer pushing heavy snow.

/ Snow blade vs FEL #8  
I use a L2184 front blade and leave the loader in the shed. But keep in mind I do alot of snow when it snows for hire. I like the front blade because I can and do run about 10 to 15 mph, I can roll snow quicker than dozing it with a loader. I also use a landpride RB2584 on the rear that I installed hyd angle on aswell.
For me the best invention is hyd cylinders.

/ Snow blade vs FEL
Well, I just did this year and went with the sub-frame and hydraulic angle blade. It uses the FEL controller for the lift and angle of the blade. Works fine, but takes a bit of time to get use to. One thing that worries me is the problem with getting stuck and not having the FEL to help push me out.

As for switching over from one to the other it is rather easy to hook up or take off the plow and can be done in a few minutes. The FEL is a different story and although I have only done it once it took me several minutes to get it off and then back on. This was in nice weather, not too sure how it will be when the temperatures on cold.

I am now faced with going to the dealer to complain about the paint job on the blade. The entire face seems to be pilling off and this is after using it for about an hour plowing snow.

Having a rear snowblower and now a plow blade it certainly improved the time for plowing our road and I am not sure if I will need the FEL or not. I know in years past I would use it from time to time, but really did not need it. Only time it helped me was when I got into a situation and need it to push me backwards.

Just my two cents.

In your experience does the blade work so much better than the FEL to justify the cost? Does it reduce your plowing time and reduce your effort to move the snow? I work 12 hour shifts and two hours of driving to and from work. A couple of hours a day saved pushing snow is a couple of hours of precious sleep. I don't mind pushing snow. And I don't mind sleeping either.

/ Snow blade vs FEL #10  
I have looked at the blades mounted on the front of the loader and haven't read anything bad about them. It just seems to me that there is so much length added to the front of the tractor that it would leverage the front to the point that it would make the tractor very difficult to steer pushing heavy snow.

I guess it depends on the type of snow and how much. I've used a FEL and rear blade for years to keep our road clear (now we have a REAL snowplow so those days are done :thumbsup:). My experience has been heavy wet snow (Cascade Concrete). The advantage of the plow or blade is when angled it pushes the snow to the side; the FEL won't do that. You can make diagonal stripes down the road to push it off to the side, but it's slow going.

My rear blade worked so-so. It's light and has no hydraulic adjustments. Heavy snow would just jam between it and the rear of the tractor after a while. Maybe if I had sprayed it with Fluid Film it would have discharged better off to the side.