snow blade rubber edge help

/ snow blade rubber edge help #41  
polyurethane or UHMW cutting edge (eBay) ..... easy to work with.

All ready been here, done this with BX-22 and L3940.

I replace the edge every other year. Yes, you can cut & drill a scrap piece or pieces.

If wide enough, then it's reversible....probably need new holes.

Helped my neighbor install on his JD 420 blade. His wife stopped complaining abt driveway scrapes.

Wear down the plastic edge, not the asphalt or concrete driveway & your blade.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #42  
UHMW for the win, yup.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #43  
I have a rubber cutting edge since I have an asphalt drive.
Not really too effective, IMHO

I'd like to try this stuff
I have an HLA snow pusher with a backdrag and btm pusher rubber edges.

They both scrape down to asphalt perfect dont leave marks. Best to use before anyone drives on the driveway.

I have metal side skids. In hindsight I'd probably get the plastic replaceable side skids. The standard metal ones will leave scratches in asphalt if my box angle isn't right.

I got to try mine out first try in 18" of snow this past Monday. Was a lot of back and forth since I cant angle a pusher. Only took about 10' to completely over-fill the box so snow management very quickly became my main duty.

Driveway is 1/3 mile 1.5 lanes wide.

That rubber edge from HLA is pretty beefy I was on it for a good 6 hrs in float mode.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #44  
I haven't used a blade to plow my asphalted driveway in 15 years. Before it was paved, I found out that I got a better result with less hassle using the FEL. Since paving, I have never gouged the driveway with the FEL. Rather than pushing the snow to the sides with a blade, I can stop, lift the FEL, then dump the snow wherever I want it. It's a whole lot faster than messing with a blade and you're always looking forward rather than backward.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #45  
I’d suggest rubber belting - optional width and ply - most are very sturdy

/ snow blade rubber edge help #46  
I saw a Youtube video from Good Works Tractors I think. He showed composite edges for plowing snow with your blade. You take the steel edge off and put one of these on. Said he paved his lot and wanted to prevent damage. They were reversible if the edge wore down too much and I think he showed some predrilled for some blades.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #47  
I saw a Youtube video from Good Works Tractors I think. He showed composite edges for plowing snow with your blade. You take the steel edge off and put one of these on. Said he paved his lot and wanted to prevent damage. They were reversible if the edge wore down too much and I think he showed some predrilled for some blades.
Yes, he did...but not any pre-drilled, IIRC

/ snow blade rubber edge help #48  
If you’re in a semi large metro area, or have a hub city near you see if there are any shops specializing in plastics. When I was living in Las Vegas, there was a place, Commercial Plastics, that stocked and sold a wide variety of plastics, and did fabrication of custom plastic parts in-house. I used to drop by their sales desk and check to see if they had any offcuts of interesting plastics. The part of woodworking I have always enjoyed the most is figuring out how deign, build, and setup, the jigs_n_fixtures. They had some amazing stuff from time to time. Lexan in colors, is good for guards. Various nylons, doped with graphite or molybdenum sulfide is designed to be a low speed bearing and works great. Off cuts of from the UHMW cutting boards they made for commercial kitchens, etc., etc,

And, once I was a known face, if asked about off-cuts from something in particular, they would look to see who bought it, give me their contact information so I could call and ask if they had any off-cuts.

I have a UHMW edge on my snowplow. One of the shops I used to work for uses a lot of it, and they buy it in 4X10-ft sheets. And, almost always have 4 to 6-inch wide pieces the full length of the sheet. Fifteen years ago, when I still worked there, I helped the guys who plowed their driveways, and parking lots put some scrap on their plows. I’m still friendly with everybody, and if I give them a call, they will give me as many feet of the scrap as I want.

Suitable plastics for cutting edges on snow equipment might just be a phone call away if you do a bit of research.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #49  
If you can’t find some stall mats that are ridged enough, try this website. I’ve used them for their intended purpose (in our stalls), as well as the blade edge for a FEL stall scraper and my back blade.

The other option is Good Works Tractors. Check out his website or give him a call. He’s fairly knowledgeable in this department, willing to help answer any questions and usually has this kind of thing in stock.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #50  
I put a rubber edge on my 7' rear blade. For the rubber, I cut the tread off of an old LT tire (think "retread"). I sandwiched it between the moldboard and the existing cutting edge and it works perfect! Pull it one way you get a smooth finish, pull the other way and the left over tread makes a real pretty corduroy.

Cutting the tread off of a truck tire is a great way of building character. :unsure: