Smoking a Boston Butt question

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #11  
I am not a pro but I don't of any reason to use green wood. I learned you want 'clean' blue smoke not wet white smoke for best flavors. Love to hear if there is any other way to do it better. The dryer the better is what I have been taught.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #12  
Around here it is dried hickory and dry pork. Only seasoning while smoking is salt and pepper. Smoke with fat side down and never wrapped. Depending upon size, 6-8 hours at approx. 225-250. Any sauce/"dip" added after meat is done. FWIW, that is Lexington-style BBQ.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #13  
I have one in the frige that has been brined overnight. Will put it on the BGE soon; if it's a success, I'll post the recipe.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #14  
I insist on seasoned wood with one exception. I normally use seasoned Pecan,Oak and Hickory but for a change I smoke pork with green Hickory. Green Hickory give's meat a flavor like no other wood. I never soak wood or wood chips. Try green Hickory for pork some time and give us your opinion. A few East Texas rib joints use it exclusivly. My least favorite smoked meat is the one you didn't invite me over to help you eat.:D

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question
Well, I got plenty of green Hickory trees here in these mountains in western NC. I have use seasoned Hickory in the fire ring a lot to cook our steaks and burgers and they always turned out good. I am gonna try the green Hickory the next time we smoke a butt. I guess I can cut the tree down the day before I smoke the butt? Anyone else use green Hickory wood for smoking pork?

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #16  
I only dry well seasoned Hickory, Oak or Black Cherry. I want a good hot clean well oxygenated fire producing a very slightly light blue smoke. Not the heavy gray wet dirty smoke. Yuck.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #17  
I have one in the frige that has been brined overnight. Will put it on the BGE soon; if it's a success, I'll post the recipe.

Don’t know if you use Facebook but they have an outstanding BGE page. I’ve had one since July and I know I’m preaching to the choir but, wow!

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #18  
Well, I got plenty of green Hickory trees here in these mountains in western NC. I have use seasoned Hickory in the fire ring a lot to cook our steaks and burgers and they always turned out good. I am gonna try the green Hickory the next time we smoke a butt. I guess I can cut the tree down the day before I smoke the butt? Anyone else use green Hickory wood for smoking pork?

You can use wood same day you cut it. Needless to say,use dry wood to get things going and dry splits early in cook if needed. It's good having plenty on your place to alow cutting small quinitys as needed. I hope a couple others give this a try and let us know whether it's :licking: or :thumbdown:. I look foward to hearing.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #19  
Jack Daniels has a good tasting pork rub that’s available in supermarkets. I also use it for chicken too. I’m actually ready to pull off some whole chickens now that were cooked with applewood and the Jack Daniels pork rub, along with some season salt and olive oil. I also put cut up pears in the cavity, it’s adds a good flavor.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #20  
Jack Daniels has a good tasting pork rub that’s available in supermarkets. I also use it for chicken too. I’m actually ready to pull off some whole chickens now that were cooked with applewood and the Jack Daniels pork rub, along with some season salt and olive oil. I also put cut up pears in the cavity, it’s adds a good flavor.

Good idea on the pears!