Smoking a Boston Butt question

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
We are getting ready to smoke a Boston Butt. I use red oak for smoking. My question is How old can the red oak be? I got some fresh cut red oak about 3 weeks old, is it too green to smoke with? I have some other red oak about a year old as well. Which will be better?
Thanks!

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #2  
My guess is the seasoned wood will burn better and impart a better flavor. The green stuff will naturally burn slower, but I’d be scared of it leaving a little residue on my butt, kinda like it leaves creosote in the wood stove. So, my take is the seasoned wood is the safer choice.

On a side note. The last butt I did was sort of a Cuban style. It was marinated in a garlic and mustard rub. It was good. Found the recipe on the internet.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #3  
All deciduous hard woods should be fully seasoned before using for smoking meat...green hardwoods put out creosote and will make your meat bitter tasting...it's fine (and advised) to soak the wood chunks in clean water prior to putting on the coals...

Some fruit woods can be used green...

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question

Well that's good to know!
Thanks

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #5  

Well that's good to know!
Thanks

FWIW...Myron Mixon (the winningest man in BBQ) likes to use green peach wood (IIRC)...

Most fruit woods give slightly milder smoke flavor that hardwoods like hickories and oaks...
...Personally I like to use pecan wood whenever possible...Pecan is in the hickory family and offers a slightly sweeter flavor than other common hickories...

Good luck with the roast...nothing like smelling a hunk of pig roasting on a smoke fire this time of year...

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #6  
I always season hardwood. Green hardwood will create an off taste.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #7  
Green wood, Oak for sure, will give you the green apple quick steps. I use Mesquite, Pecan, (or Hickory) and Blackjack Oak.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #8  
I used to smoke with seasoned apple or hickory chips in my weber with a side smoker, and it would need refills every 40 min - I got one of these tubes and wood pellets that burns for 4 hours Amazon.com: Carpathen Smoke Tube - Pellet Smoker for Gas Grill, Electric, Charcoal Grills or Smokers - Billows 5 Hours of Amazing Cold Smoke Ideal for Smoking Cheese, Fish, Pork, Beef, Nuts - 12" Stainless Steel Made: Kitchen & Dining

I do the 3-2-1 method 3+ hours of smoke @ 225-240 then put butt in sealed tin foil pan with a mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of applesauce with a half stick of butter, and a 1/4 cup of brown sugar, the cook for 2 hours at 250 then remove and let it sit for an hour still covered in a cooler then pull it apart.

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question
Thanks for that recipe Carl, the wife wants to try it!

/ Smoking a Boston Butt question #10  
Oh my wife rubs the butt the night before too - you can use about any rub or make your own. It will build the flavor along with the smoke.