Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #1  

BubbaBillyBob

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5545 4wd
All--

I have a Mahindra 5545, 4wd. Today, it ran very well earlier, but when I started it to do a little backhoe work it began smoking from the exhaust and running very rough and would not produce any power. This happened a couple of years ago, as well. Back then, I had made up my mind to haul it to the dealer for repair. The next day when I started it up to load it on the trailer, it ran perfectly and has ever since . . . until today.

I am not a diesel mechanic. The limit of my abilities with the engine are changing oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filters. I attributed the "self healing" to crud in the fuel filter. That's a guess.

Here is a short video demonstrating the problem. Will you please give me your diagnosis?

Thanks!

--Bill

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #2  
Did you check for algae in the tank or water?

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle
Ken--

No. I will. I am not sure how to do that. The machine lives in the garage and is never in the rain, however.

Thank you for the suggestion.
--Bill

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #4  
Do you have a clear "bowl" where the gas filter sits?

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #5  
I would also pull the air filter and look for any obstructions in the intake. Lack of air would also make it smoke and run rough.

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #6  
Does your Mahindra have an EGR valve? Those are the symptoms my neighbor had with his Mahindra. It took several service calls then finally a new EGR and a software update to correct the problem.

I was convinced it was a fuel filter or air filter problem.

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle
Ken and oldnslo and JJT--

Ken, my machine does not have a clear bowl where the diesel fuel filter sits.

oldnslo, good call on the air filter. Thanks.

JJT, I do not know if it has an EGR valve. Time to break out the manual.

But, I do have an update . . .

The weather is good, so I was going to leave the tractor and big skid steer (Komatsu 1020-5 Turbo) outside tonight. Then I checked the forecast again at 10pm just to make sure. Now it calls for rain around 4am. So I decided to bring the tractor and Komatsu in. The Komatsu always cranks instantly and it did this time, as well. One down. Problem child to go. The tractor started right up, as I expected. I knew I could limp it into the garage bay in which both live. I expected it to start spitting and smoking as soon as I brought the throttle up.

It didn't. So I cranked it up well past 1500 rpm. Smooth as a top.

It is not quite time to change the filters, yet. But I will check the air filter for sure.

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

--Bill

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #10  
“Not time”.??
ANYTIME u get a pump/running problem IS TIME to change the filters..
I don't think firing the "parts canon" is the best way to try and fix an issue that has yet to be understood. Since this has happened before, root cause the issue first. Could be a filter issue but may not be.

OP. The previous time this happened, did the dealer leave any helpful notes on the work order?