Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #1  

zombieda

Tractor
don't own one yet
It looks like I will be moving to a farm in December (fingers crossed). The drive to the house is about 500m(canuck measure) or 0.3 miles(freedom units). I want to get a small tractor that will be multipurpose, but #1 job would be to clear the drive in the winter.
What are some good ones to look at?

Cheers!

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #2  
You need to determine how small is small and what the other purposes for the tractor will be. It sounds as though this will be your only tractor. How big is the farm? What other tractor jobs are planned? How much snow to you expect? What other implements will the tractor be handling?

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive
The part I would be using the tractor on would only be a couple acres...
Move move soil/ firewood (ie tow a bin),
Mow lawn (if an attachment is possible).

Not sure of the annual snowfall, but expect it to have some significant falls during the winter (Possible for 50+cm at at a time.

Given the long drive, I don't want to go too small in the lawn/garden size (which is what I would need if I didn't have this as a task. Also... the drive is mostly flat, so no hills to deal with

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #4  
^^^^
Sounds like a Sub-Compact tractor will work for what you're planning. Are you planning on purchasing new or pre-owned? What's your budget? What dealers are local to you?

I'd suggest looking at the Massey Ferguson GC1700, Kubota BX, Kioti CS, Yanmar SA, JD 1 Series and also TYM (and there are other great options). In reality, you really can't go wrong with any 'new' sub compact tractor offerings.

Mike

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #5  
The part I would be using the tractor on would only be a couple acres...
Move move soil/ firewood (ie tow a bin),
Mow lawn (if an attachment is possible).

Not sure of the annual snowfall, but expect it to have some significant falls during the winter (Possible for 50+cm at at a time.

Given the long drive, I don't want to go too small in the lawn/garden size (which is what I would need if I didn't have this as a task. Also... the drive is mostly flat, so no hills to deal with

Define mow lawn? Are we talking Bermuda Groomed or pasture grass you just need to knock down. The larger the machine the more difficult it will be to maneuver around a yard. Also weight of machine could leave tracks and swinging the rear mower could hit stuff by accident.

Define mow lawn? Are we talking Bermuda Groomed or pasture grass you just need to knock down. The larger the machine the more difficult it will be to maneuver around a yard. Also weight of machine could leave tracks and swinging the rear mower could hit stuff by accident.
Good questions!
I want a groomed lawn.. likely will be a mixture including kentucky bluegrass (typical for the area). The lawn footprint is pretty much just a square box right now and open... but those are good points about the weight of the machine vs. the soil. Right now I don't have a good handle on that (will not be on site until December, and will not really see this until spring/summer.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #7  
So by the sounds of it, you will not be farming? So for everything else you posted any brand that is the same size as my Kubota B2620 would do everything you need, or one with the factory cab. But stay 26 h.p. or under so you don't have to deal with constant emissions system problems.

Now if you needed an all around tractor that you could hobby farm with, then I would say go antique/vintage. Because then you could buy cheap, big power, heavy weight, run-forever-reliable.

Yes... thats correct. There are 60 acres, but will be renting that out for someone with real farming equipment.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check out around th 26hp mark and that Kubota model

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #9  
Just to add to the mix, snowblowing on an open station tractor is not going to be very comfortable. I upgraded to a cab machine for winter use and don't regret it for a second.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #10  
Just to add to the mix, snowblowing on an open station tractor is not going to be very comfortable. I upgraded to a cab machine for winter use and don't regret it for a second.

As an add on to the above post, I used to use an open station tractor with a 3 pt blower. Very cold, wet, and slow.

In 2009, I bought a skidsteer with an enclosed heated cab and a blower. It’s great. That would be my recommendation for snow removal.

I do my driveway and my neighbor’s - very large country driveways.