Small shed ideas?

/ Small shed ideas? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
This is one of those "30 years ago it was nice" things.
Near the house, other side of driveway is a small block garden shed in good shape and useful. Then there's a well house, then another block shed for woodshop, also good shape. Years ago I added onto that shed for a fish pond, then screened it in.
Nice for a few years then a headache. I gave the pond away (so now a hole to fill), aquariums, pumps, etc. That "shed" is falling apart except roof and corner posts are ok.
1st picture is garden shed, then woodshed, then the was-a-small-fishpond shed.
What's the best choice (since it would be handy having a shed for push mowers, trimmers, etc.).
1) tear it down and concrete floor fill in hole, plant grass.
2) tear down bad parts leaving posts, fill hole, tamp then 4" or so concrete. Enclose it, new 36" door, metal roof (replace fiberglass although it doesn't leak).
3) tear it down, fill hole, put a pre-built 8ft x 12ft shed there. Easy, but wouldn't match.
4) have my contractor friend help me, he could work it in with other jobs he has (he lives a mile away). He would match what's there (roof pitch). It would be super nice, a little larger, but not cheap...a few $K.
My wife likes idea 2. I know a little about building things, not a lot. I'd use pressure treated lumber.
Thanks in advance. All ideas appreciated as always! 20200513_173139.jpg20200513_173215.jpg20200513_173048.jpg20200513_173114.jpg20200513_173014.jpg

/ Small shed ideas? #2  
Why would you use pressure treated lumber if you didn't have to? nothing warps more, it's more money, it's horrible to work with .

I would do number 4

/ Small shed ideas? #3  
Pressure "treated" lumber today is crap. IF you can find CCA treated lumber from an agriculture supply place, you've found real pressure treated. The AQC treated stuff they sell for residential use is crap. Here is an example of a post on my deck that failed after 7-8 years.

enhance

Tag still on some of the lumber:

enhance

/ Small shed ideas? #5  
1 if you don't need or will use it.
2 you probably won't be happy about it the end.
3 if you want done fast and easy and cheap.
4 if you want it done nice and plan to enjoy it for years to come.

/ Small shed ideas? #7  
I would keep the good portions so a combination of 2 and 4. But first I would get the vegetative growth away from the sheds. Except that cool rose in pic 1

/ Small shed ideas?
Pressure "treated" lumber today is crap. IF you can find CCA treated lumber from an agriculture supply place, you've found real pressure treated. The AQC treated stuff they sell for residential use is crap. Here is an example of a post on my deck that failed after 7-8 years.

enhance

Tag still on some of the lumber:

enhance
From what I read UC3B is light duty. Probably should have been UC4A or B.
(Not that I know what I'm talking about )

New AWPA standards for treated lumber - ProWood Lumber
New AWPA standards for treated lumber - ProWood Lumber

/ Small shed ideas?
Just a quick thank-you guys! Lots of ideas helps make a better decision.

/ Small shed ideas? #10  
I prefer metal sheds on concrete. They last forever. Anything I build now has a steel frame. That treated timber is a lottery. I have some that only lasted about 6 - 7 years and disintegrated.