small dc welder for scratch start tig

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig #11  
I have got a smart tools 100 amp stick tig welder that is very light and mobile. Don't think you get quite all of the 100 amps but close. My wife got it for me for Christmas and paid less than $200 for it. :2cents:

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig #12  
I had a thermal arc dragster 85 a few years ago that might be what you are lookign for but definetly more expensive than the Everlast.
Might be able to get a good deal on this used one with no leads.
Thermal Arc Dragster 85 Welder Leads not Included | eBay

I just orderred a everlast 200ST a few minutes ago on e-bay, getting rid of my Maxstar 150. I've been impressed with the reviews, expecially from Shield Arc. Looking forward to trying it out. Might give their product a good look, lots of bang for the buck it seems.

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig
   / small dc welder for scratch start tig #14  
I'm not going to pay $150 for a harbor freight rig when I can get EVERLAST 140a 140amp LIFT START TIG / STICK WELDER IGBT Dual Voltage - - Amazon.com for $250. Hard to put a tig rig together for $100. Now if the HF goes on sale in the $100 range, I will give it a try. I am not in a hurry to put this small tig setup together, so I am just going to keep my eyes open for a bargain.

Contact Mark from Everlast. He gives TBN members a better price.
I never used it for tig, but I was impressed by the PA140ST preformance in such a small package.

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig
Jody on Welding tips and tricks did a comparison of the miller Maxstar 150, and the Everlast 140st, Tig Welder Comparison - Maxstar 150stl and Everlast PowerArc 140st - YouTube. welding is pretty comparible, the Maxstar getting the edge simply because you can hook up a foot petal and gas flow thru the machine, which the Everlast isnt capable of. The big difference is price, the Miller Maxstar being almost $1200 versus the Everlast of $275. for the $1000 difference in price, i think i know which machine I would choose. I like the foot petal for control of the heat, but Not $1000 worth

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig #16  
Seems like you already knew what you should be buying.:confused:

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig #17  
My 2 cents is adding the scratch start tig torch only makes fiscal sense if you already own the DC output stick welder since you can add it to that so cheap. (In my case I added an ebay torch with valve for like $45 or so). Frankly, I never use my tig rig as it simply is not the best tool for most of my outdoor based repairs on ole junk farm equipment.

If you serious about doing DC tig on steel and stainless steel then I would look at that Everlast 160STH for like $489 or so. It is 120/240 volt. While it can do scratch start tig. It can also do HF start and most importantly is that it is foot pedal capable. Let's face it; If you are serious about doing tig then you are eventally going to want a foot pedal....this gives you that foot pedal option at a very affordable level as you grow and want more.

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig #18  
ESAB MiniArc 161 LTS is a nice option as well.

image.jpg

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig #19  
Actually, I have already looked at the PA140st. Little more machine than I had planned on, but in a reasonable price range for the extras of 240v and the tig torch included. I already have a couple of small tig torches, I just need something to hook them to. Now if that thing popsup on Amazon with a big discount, I am all over it. Since the last 2 amazon everlast deals, I have found myself checking them at least once or twice a week. LOL

Really, I pretty much have everything for a scratch start tig, except the small welder. Those small import el-cheapos HF machines sort of scare me, but in reality, something el-cheapo is what i am really looking for. Just dont know which ones to really avoid and which ones might be ok

I am not sure how you expect to get anything much cheaper than $275, and still have an "on" switch
:rolleyes:

/ small dc welder for scratch start tig #20  
As a side bar to this discussion I just bought a PA 200DV from Mark for one of our buildings maint department.

So far they like the little toy, seems to be everything Mark said it would be, and Mark gave me a pretty substantial discount.

Some of the welds I have seen out of it looks great, and the guys said it is a better machine than the Lincoln Inverter it replaced for about half the money.

But it did fit on it's cart ;)