Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #21  
For those, like myself, who were recommended to use a CPAP but did not like the idea of one; there is another option you can ask your doctor about.
Its called a "TAP" which is basically a dental appliance that is made specifically for you. It is much less intrusive than a CPAP and emits no noise. It is similar to wearing a sports mouth guard at night. It keeps the airway open when sleeping. Been using mine for several years with excellent results.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #22  
The TAP sounds interesting, what is the cost and how do they measure you up for one?

The Philips recall was for people who used Ozone cleaners. I am getting a new one from them soon anyway to replace the one I have.

I like the secondwindcpap people as they clean and do checks on the machines before sending them. The two I bought from them over the years were both new, 0 hours on the clock.

I configure the CPAP machines myself. Had a pro set my first one up years ago.

I use OSCAR to read the data from the chip and that gives better detail than most Dr. Software.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions.
The TAP sounds interesting, what is the cost and how do they measure you up for one?

The Philips recall was for people who used Ozone cleaners. I am getting a new one from them soon anyway to replace the one I have.

I like the secondwindcpap people as they clean and do checks on the machines before sending them. The two I bought from them over the years were both new, 0 hours on the clock.

I configure the CPAP machines myself. Had a pro set my first one up years ago.

I use OSCAR to read the data from the chip and that gives better detail than most Dr. Software.
I just heard of OSCAR a couple days ago from a guy with a YouTube channel. Do you have a thought on what chip size to get? It's been 8-10 years since i bought one for a camera so I guess sizes have gone up.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #24  
It only writes small text files so anything in the right format will work.
Mine is 32gb and would probably last many decades.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #25  
You have valid points, for sure. I have one year left to decide on one and get it ordered. I have found some quiet and less obtrusive units that I might could live with..
I totally agree with you about ensuring the machine suits you. My wife and I spent the first 50 years of our marriage farming around the world, retiring to Orkney last year. I was provided with free supplies under the UK National Health Service whilst living in the UK around the turn of the century, but we decided to move to Portugal in 2002 and I bought my own machine - cost about £600 to 700 from memory.

Being in hospital for a heart operation in Portugal in 2019 I was offered a new machine free of charge under their health system, but it made noises (beeps and whistle sounds, maybe really bells and whistles!) also showed too many lights so I kept my ancient ResMed S6 which I will have had for 20 years on 5 December.

It would be a disaster if you need a machine but can only be provided with one that annoys you because of noise and lights and you find you cannot comfortably use it. New improved model is what all the designers claim. I bet none of them use the damned things themselves. As with all health equipment the retail price of these things is extortionate.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #26  
Blood oxygen is a major component of the sleep test. Did an overnight in the hospital, two stages, lots of sensors. First, regular sleep for a few hrs. Had very low blood ox level and stopped breathing many times. Second with a machine, oxygen level better, only a couple incidents of stopping breathing. Been using a Resmed 10 for a number of years. Side note, used to fall asleep at the computer half hr after breakfast. The thing that really woke me up to the problem was falling asleep while driving returning home from gopher shooting. Hit a bump in the road and woke up, scared me bad.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #27  
For those of you without serious apnea but with a true snoring problem try wedge pillows if you have not already.
My wife used to snore loud enough to be heard from afar, when in the hospital for other matters they were actually concerned.
She bought a wedge pillow with about a 3" lift and now her snoring is rare.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #28  
Best sex preventer ever invented, a CPAP machine.

Mine is a Bi-Pap and I mask up and I'm gone in about 45 seconds. I actually own 3 different machines, bought them all new and bought enough supplies to last until I'm gone because the whole Sleep Apena thing is a racket.

2 for at home and one for hunting trips and I have a lithium Ion battery pack for the travel machine.

Bet I have over 25,000 hours on the one I sleep on every night, maybe more. Haven't checked in a while.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions.
I have been using the Dreamwear under the nose mask for several years. 18 years ago I started out with the more gas mask looking solution.

I normally source through Amazon but I linked this one just because they have lots of pictures for people that are interested in Masks and matter fact the company makes different types too.

Philips Respironics DreamWear Nasal | Mask

Last edited:
   / Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #30  
Been using a CPAP for about 7 years now. Snored LOUDLY my entire life then would stop breathing while sleeping and would wake up gasping for air. Finally got tested and was diagnosed with severe apnea. Stopped breathing every minute and would sometimes stop breathing for well over a minute. not good. blood pressure started creeping up too. It sucks wearing the mask at first but you get used to it. Get a mask liner from Pad-A-Cheek, it makes a huge difference with comfort and also help prevent leakages.

I knew I was getting better sleep but never realized how much until I lost power one night and couldn't use my machine. I was useless the next day. Now I have a whole house generator so that'll never happen again!