Skidsteer vs Compact tractor

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #21  
You are right I was not concerned about maneuverability. My L4240 weighs about 7000#. So you prefer a truck over a SS or tractor?

For my area, absolutely I prefer a truck. Fastest way to plow unless you are in a crammed parking lot with lots of tight areas and back-dragging. But drives (country drives, not small city lots), and large parking lots, truck is faster hands down. Until you get a big enough piece of equipment to push a 16' blade. But with My 9'6" blade, I can make about 5 trips across the parking lot compaired to only one with a tractor/SS

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #22  
For my area, absolutely I prefer a truck. Fastest way to plow unless you are in a crammed parking lot with lots of tight areas and back-dragging. But drives (country drives, not small city lots), and large parking lots, truck is faster hands down. Until you get a big enough piece of equipment to push a 16' blade. But with My 9'6" blade, I can make about 5 trips across the parking lot compaired to only one with a tractor/SS

I have to agree!

10 years ago my dad had one of those cheap BEAR snow plows from walmart. It worked great and fast. For some unknown reason he sold it.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #23  
Tire size & ground clearance may be things to consider post-storm & later in the year if/when you have banks to consider... the smaller the tires the easier it is to glaze up a nice icy tire rest for them to spin in. If the unit has enough weight & breakout force you may be able to get in & chop your way into the banks & get to real ground, but if not you'll be prying up the back of the unit and/or spinning your tires as the blade pushes against an ice wall it can't penetrate. Depends a lot on what conditions the season gives you! You can't beat a good plow truck for getting the job done...

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #24  
Couple real negatives I have for skidloaders is limited hours, terrible visibility, and low speed. I cant find find a newer skidloader thats not junk after 2500 hours. They never figured out the rear visibility so you will get real sore after a long snow event rubber necking. Even with 2 speed and over sized tires you max out at 11mph (mind you two speeds go out very frequently). My last two years of snowplowing has been in a skidloader at a large industrial park. If I was a solo guy I wouldn't like its limitations.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor
Couple real negatives I have for skidloaders is limited hours, terrible visibility, and low speed. I cant find find a newer skidloader thats not junk after 2500 hours. They never figured out the rear visibility so you will get real sore after a long snow event rubber necking. Even with 2 speed and over sized tires you max out at 11mph (mind you two speeds go out very frequently). My last two years of snowplowing has been in a skidloader at a large industrial park. If I was a solo guy I wouldn't like its limitations.

Good points.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #26  
Crazyal is right on , parking lot skid steer , no contest . I have a JD 250 SS weighs about 7,000 with rear weight set . Oh the only problem is sore neck , lol

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #27  
LD1 is 100% correct, a pickup with a plow can move a lot of snow fast. Providing it isn't so deep as to prevent windrowing it, a pickup will easily outperform a loader or bobcat. I will also say a front end plow on a pickup can do a lot of damage on the steering, axle, etc. and should never be placed on a 1/2 ton and even a 3/4 ton requires some care. If you dump off the plow as soon as possible so the vehicle doesn't have to carry around that weight on the front axle.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #28  
I started with tractors, then I got smart. I never disc or cut fields/grass so I don't need a tractor. Advantages of a skid steer - It's the Victorinox of the tractor family. For snow you have the maneuverability that no tractor can touch. For pushing snow they probably will both do the job, just like a car and a pickup truck will both take you to the grocery store. But with the pickup truck you can use the bed for endless tasks, over the car. The attachments once you get the skid steer are endless. You will find yourself using it for things you never imagined.
Think about the first pass you make tractor vs skid steer. You both push the snow equally then when you get to end of the lot/drive with the skid steer - you spin around and your going the other way. With the tractor you have to do a multi point turn OR do a large circle to go the other way. Advantage skid steer.
It's all about the bonus uses with the skid steer.

With the tractor you could just use the rear brakes to spin the tractor around. In the winter is when it works best because of the ground being slippery. I do it all the time. I even use the tractor brakes when working on sloped ground that wants to pull the tractor into the ditch.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #29  
For pushing snow I would also opt for a truck over either a tractor or a SS. But that wasn't one of the two choices.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #30  
I have a L4240 HSTC with a eight ft.FEL mounted snow plow,rear seven ft. blade.My choice.We had a three ft.wet snow fall that couldn't be plowed(tractor or truck),I removed my plow and mounted my bucket to save the day.That type of snow had to be picked up and moved,it was like wet concrete.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
Boom Shredder (A33041)
Boom Shredder (A33041)
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
Kinze 2200 Planter (A33041)
Kinze 2200 Planter...
2015 Moffett M8 55.3 (0278) Truck Mounted Forklift (A33113)
2015 Moffett M8...
International Offset Disc (A33041)
International...