Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader?

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #111  
I've got what appears to be that same Erskine model, but on my skidsteer. Have had it for about 13 years. It's a beast; indestructible. The only operating issues I've had are (1) the chute will sometimes slowly clog in wet snow, even at full throttle. I just keep a small pry bar with me to clear the chute. And (2) in very cold conditions (close to zero degrees), if you stop the blower, the moisture created by the compressed snow will instantly freeze the fan. Ice builds up as it is being used. The hydraulics aren't strong enough to break the bond (59 hp skidsteer). I keep a 10lb hammer with me and just tap the fan blades to break the ice bond. These two issues pretty much apply to any snowblower though.

Attachments

• 18BE3CCD-B04F-4E1D-806E-2CFB0B19D26E.jpeg
    18BE3CCD-B04F-4E1D-806E-2CFB0B19D26E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 58
   / Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #112  
I think these hydraulic snow blowers were first designed to be used on skid steers with more hydraulic pressure and flow. Then they came out with the power pack hydro unit to mount on the 3pt hitch and run off the rear PTO, giving the sub compact tractors enough hydraulics to run the blower. Mine is in it's 3rd year and it is quite a snow weapon.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #113  
dennis103. i like your setup ...the way you ran hoses. i had to make a few plates for mine, but i totally remove hoses every spring.
bracket #1 best view.jpg
side view blower and bracket 1.jpg
bracket 2 better.jpg

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #114  
it takes about 2 hours to totally mount the blower every winter, what with unpacking, routing hoses and controls. but swapping out to plow or bucket only takes minutes.

plus, it move alot of snow fast. tonight my carriage barn shed. i had between 18-24" of snow on building. hard to tell by the pics, but its deep, wet and compacted. from start to finish 14 minutes.

shed 1.jpg
shed 2.jpg
dhes 3.jpg
shed 4.jpg
shed 5.jpg

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #115  
grsthe great and dennis -- both outstanding job of showing us your snow blowing tools. Rather obviously you are well equipped for handling some serious snow challenges in both Idaho and Maine. Many people would love to have that kind of tools and most of us TBN people know it is more than just spending a chunk of cash, there is a lot of good judgement and ingenuity and persistence in work you put into it. Great to see.

I do have one criticism -- your stuff is way too clean and shiny and purty -- embarrassing actually. You can't really get work done and look like that !!

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #116  
After i blew out the corrals, my tractor looked pretty shabby.

ill have to pressure wash it tomorrow

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #117  
I can't take the credit for the install. I purchased the blower as a package with the tractor, so the dealer installed it. They did a really good job. There are quick disconnects for the hydraulic lines at the rear, front and middle near the quick disconnects for my loader arms. Makes it just 2 extra quick disconnects and back away from the loader. 2 quick disconnects and a electric plug and change from blower to bucket. The biggest snow storm we have had this winter so far is less than 2".

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #118  
Now this is giving me the urge to convert my rear pto modded blower to hydraulic drive. There was a diy one a member posted using a pressure tank for a reservoir. Mount the assembly on a rear blade. Princess Auto lists a 20 gpm pto pump for $600. I have a good sized hyd motor on an old rock picker, need to check capacity.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #119  
what kind of coupler is inside the housing? What advantage does this setup vs a pump with a pto drive offer (prince
lists this pump at 41 lbs.) ?
97CEE6E5-1074-42D2-B463-0DDB9896533B.jpeg46D950EA-3654-4116-BB06-45E586E98079.jpeg

Thanks for the pics dennis103.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #120  
The pump has the female spline that mates to the PTO shaft. It has a bracket that hangs down on both sides of the draw bar. That keeps the pump housing from turning and a clamp goes behind that bracket to keep the pump from sliding off the PTO shaft. Not sure what advantage there is to that set up is over a PTO shaft from the pump to the tractor PTO would be. I can tell you the disadvantage is, its a pain in the a$$ to install. I've never weighed the pump but it's heavy (my guess 80lb), plus a large and a small hydraulic hose you have to fight with to install.