Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader?

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #101  
Well, here we go. I bought a lightly used Erskine snow blower that is front mounted on my loader's skid steer mount, is hydraulically powered, and includes a PTO powered hydraulic power pack. So come along for the ride to see how well it works.

New, these seem to go for around $15k, and I got this for $6500. I had to drive 8hr each way to get it, but I think it will be worth it.

The big issue with this arrangement for a blower is getting enough power to it. Sizing the hydraulics I think is the key. The power pack is 24 gpm at a pto speed of 540 rpm, and it can develop up to 3000 psi. In rough numbers that's 48hp which is a good match for my tractor's 50 pto hp. So the power pack should be able to extract all the power my tractor has available. Then the blower motors are sized for 22-25 gpm, so at 24 gpm I'll be driving it at the upper end of it's speed rating. In theory, this is set up as a perfect match for my tractor. This will inevitably be lower net power vs the push-behind pto driven blower I've been using, but I'm willing to give up some power so I can work facing forward instead of in reverse. Worst case, I just slow down a bit. Now we get to see how all this matches up to reality.

So far I just have the equipment laid out in my shop. The hydraulic hoses are set up a bit funny from the previous install, and look like it as powering something else in addition to the blower, including an extra return hose fitting. I have removed all that so it can be connected as intended.

Stay tuned.
I have the same unit (Erskine) on my Gr L6060. Awesome blower. The only thing I don't like is the way they mounted the hydraulic pump on the rear PTO. The pump is very heavy (my guess is 80LBS). It is very hard to install by hand. I am in the process of building a small lift to help with the process. Once mounted, this is a serious snow removal machine. The places I use to keep the snow blown off just in case I might need to get to them, I don't worry about until I need to go there and then I just blow a path to the building or shed. When I bought mine I didn't get the electric cooling radiator. The MFG said it wouldn't be necessary using it in the winter. The oil in the tank will get very hot even in the winter. I did end up installing the cooler. Keep a eye on the temp of your oil in the tank. If I remember right 180 degrees is getting close to damaging seals. Enjoy your hydraulic blower.
IMG_1194.jpeg

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader?
Looks like the same unit i have…or at least real close.

Attachments

• side view blower and bracket 1.jpg
    side view blower and bracket 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 167
  • 20201206_121142.jpg
    20201206_121142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
  • blower close up.jpg
    blower close up.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 173

It sure does. Maybe you have a smaller power pack? I can't quite read the model, but maybe HP15? How does it all work for you, and any operational tips? Mine does not include the skid shoes and I'm pretty certain I'll need to add them since my road and parking area is all gravel. Also, do you have the fan cooler on the power pack? I'm expecting I'll need to add that to mine, but will try it out for a while first.

I have the same unit (Erskine) on my Gr L6060. Awesome blower. The only thing I don't like is the way they mounted the hydraulic pump on the rear PTO. The pump is very heavy (my guess is 80LBS). It is very hard to install by hand. I am in the process of building a small lift to help with the process. Once mounted, this is a serious snow removal machine. The places I use to keep the snow blown off just in case I might need to get to them, I don't worry about until I need to go there and then I just blow a path to the building or shed. When I bought mine I didn't get the electric cooling radiator. The MFG said it wouldn't be necessary using it in the winter. The oil in the tank will get very hot even in the winter. I did end up installing the cooler. Keep a eye on the temp of your oil in the tank. If I remember right 180 degrees is getting close to damaging seals. Enjoy your hydraulic blower.
View attachment 728625
Thanks. You answered one of my big questions about the cooler. I'll go ahead and get one ordered. The manual talks about the duty cycle without a cooler, and of course the ambient temp. With a 1/2 mile driveway, I need 100% duty cycle.

I recall your comments earlier about the effort required to get the pump mounted. I think today I'll start with mounting the HPU to see what I've up against.

Any chance of getting some pictures of where/how you set up the hydraulic hose ends on the loader and by the 3PH? I'm assuming you leave the hose run permanently installed, and just connect/disconnect the HPU and blower? That's what I was planning on, but I haven't gotten into it yet to see how practical it is.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #104  
Ive used mine for 10 years without the cooler. I used an ir heat gun first 3 years, never had any issues with heat.

then again our temps are very cold in winter when in use. Ill even get snow buildup on top of tank while using it …. Snow does melt off, but not fast.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #105  
And yes, that pump sucks to install. An it vibrates some while in use. I was going to make up some sort of mounting bracket on mine to facilitate install and prevent vibration….. if i ever get some time.

Ive used mine for 10 years without the cooler. I used an ir heat gun first 3 years, never had any issues with heat.

then again our temps are very cold in winter when in use. Ill even get snow buildup on top of tank while using it …. Snow does melt off, but not fast.

Interesting. The power pack manual says that cooling, and the resulting duty cycle depends greatly on whether you are using the 15, 20, or 24 GPM pump. From 0F to 40F they say the 15 gpm HPU has a 70% duty cycle, where the 24 gpm is only 50%. I ordered the cooler, just in case.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #107  
I'll get you some pictures in the next couple of days and post them here. I'm also making a small lift (for lack of better word) out of a trailer jack. To help with the pump install. After it's done (and works) I'll post some pictures.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #108  
Interesting. The power pack manual says that cooling, and the resulting duty cycle depends greatly on whether you are using the 15, 20, or 24 GPM pump. From 0F to 40F they say the 15 gpm HPU has a 70% duty cycle, where the 24 gpm is only 50%. I ordered the cooler, just in case.

duty cycle...whats that...hehe

actually, im probably driving to a place to blow as much as im blowing snow so im probably at the 50-60% duty cycle on average.

but i seriously never pay attention to that. i kept an eye on heat for first few years, than stopped worrying about that. it never got hot.

but pay attention to the 2 hose connection points inside by the auger. they have a tendency to loosen up, and when they do you will leak hydraulic fluid. luckily the fluid i use tends to leave a very bright yellow..almost florescent, drip when that happens. i usually have to re tighten they a few times a season.

/ Skid steer snow blower on tractor loader? #109  
Here are a bunch of pictures. if you need anything more specific just let me know.
IMG_1778.jpeg

IMG_1778.jpeg
IMG_1779.jpeg
IMG_1780.jpeg
IMG_1781.jpeg
IMG_1782.jpeg
IMG_1783.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg
IMG_1785.jpeg
IMG_1786.jpeg
IMG_1787.jpeg

• Good Post